Making a baggage/storage compartment in side of body?

Started by MSN Member, May 18, 2010, 11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easybago

Sent: 11/15/2005

I have lots of storage under my bed in the rear bedroom but it is only accessible from the inside. I was wondering just how much trouble I would run into cutting a hole in the side of my winnie and installing a large baggage door. I would need to cut the side wall just under the rear side window. Would there be anything in the wall in that area which would keep me from doing this?

I would need to cut about a 14"x30" door. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Spudboy

I also am interested in what is the best procedure to cut side panels...the Spudmobile wants larger wheel well openings, I am tired of using two jacks to get a tire and wheel off - one for the body, one for the axle.

-Spudboy

ClydesdaleKevin

Use a Roto-Zip or the Dremel equivalent!  They are perfect for the job, and even the wood bits go through our aluminum skins like butter!  Just hold it TIGHT and don't let it wander off your drawn lines, and have plenty of bits on hand!

Hatches with complete structural frames and locks in just about any dimension you can imagine are available from RV dealers and online resources.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 11/16/2005

... or from junkyards! 

With newer year rigs, say 1980 on, I'm not sure about the framing/wiring, but I would think they're pretty much the same as the '70's.  Most wires either follow the chassis frame for the tail lights, or run up the wall, through the roof, and down for main coach wiring, but check the area you want to cut first to be sure you're not cutting into anything important behind it.

Good luck and post pictures of your work!

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Easybago

Sent: 1/23/2006

Any more advice before I start this project? I've been forced to start this project a little sooner than I wanted to due to a small accident while backing Annabelle into her spot when I got home Saturday evening.

I took Annabelle to our local ATV park Saturday for a planning meeting with a group of folks. All went well until I got home and it started to rain. In my haste to unload my golf cart and put it up, I forgot about the trailer when I ran back out to move Annabelle. I pulled around the back of the house and started backing her into her spot when all of a sudden, she stopped! Well, as things would have it, I'm looking out using my passenger side mirrior because that's the side my deck is on, but guess what was on the other side!?!? You guessed it! The trailer that I forgot to unhook. I looked out the driver's mirror and had a mirror full of trailer...lol It cut a gash about 12" long but it's pretty close to the spot where I had planned to put the compartment door.

I found a door on EBay for about $35 with shipping but I'm going to try our local junk yard first. They have 5 or 6 wrecked RV's out there with some doors in very good shape, but I didn't measure any the last time I went out there.

I'll take pics and keep y'all updated with the progress.

Easybago

Sent: 2/15/2006

I finally got my compartment door installed. It was much easier than I thought it would be and there were no obstructions in the wall except for the rear support beam that's visible from the inside of the coach. I now have bunches of storage!!!

Randy

Oz

Sent: 2/17/2006

Very, VERY nice job!  Not just on the compartment, but on the other mods too.  I'll bet that helps keep a lot of clutter out of the inside and saves trips in and out when you set-up and take- down now.  Two big thumbs up.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Easybago

Sent: 2/17/2006

Thanks Mark! It really is nice not having to go in and through the coach to get all the outside stuff for set-up and take-down. It keeps me out of the wife's way while she's doing all the inside stuff, plus it keeps a lot of dirt from being tracked in. I guess you could call it a "peace keeper".