Roof Air Conditioner trips the breaker while runnning Generator

Started by johnsig77, June 14, 2010, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsig77

Hi, there everybody.  I am a proud owner of a "new" 85 Elandan.  The front ac keeps tripping the breaker while running on the generator.  It should run while I am driving correct?  It did when I drove it home last week.  I have a 6.5 gen.  Onan or something like that..sorry i cant remember the right name.  The gen will run and either trip the breaker or shut off.  Am I  missing something?  I make sure i dont have the duel battery switch set while running it.  Thanks for the help.

55chevyRV4x4

the first thing that comes to my mind is that the breaker is a lower amperage then just running off of wall power..  I would check the bearings of the fan motor and compressor of the roof unit.  sounds like its drawing too much.

ibdilbert01

Not sure if this is going to apply or not, but its worth checking out.   If the genny is putting out a lower voltage, the AC units will require more amps to run and could trip the breaker.   Might be a good idea to poke the volt meter into one of the outlets and measure the voltage. 

Also as breakers get old, they simple wear and get weak, you might just have a weak breaker.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

dreib

Also get into your panel and tighten all your wire connections. loose wires can increase resistance which in return will increase amperage.