Coleman furnace replacement recommendation

Started by jddrivfour, October 06, 2010, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jddrivfour

The Coleman Presidential furnace needs to retire. It is installed in my 1979 30 foot Chieftain that has 4or five ducts from this furnace. Looking for advice as to which brand is better and possibly which model - hopefully from somoone who has made this change--

Thanks

RV Mech Tech

jddrivfour -  both Suburban and Atwood manufacture RV furnaces - the websites are - www.atwoodmobile.com  , and www.airxcel.com  - Airxcell owns both Suburban and Coleman - you can find a replacement furnace to match the size and BTU rating of your presidential unit and most  furnaces that will be the same BTU rating as yours will have provision for several duct / hose connections - electrical connections are usually simple with the instructions indicating what color coding and purpose each wire is and you can usually find a schematic  on your original furnace - you may have to reposition the propane supply tube and even add some fittings - also measure the size of the opening where the furnace sits and the websites have the specs including the dimensions of their furnaces so you can match them up - and remember to leak check the propane system afterwards.    :)ThmbUp

jddrivfour

can you recommend one brand over another-ie atwood vs suburban?

Oz

It's hard to say that one is better than the other.  Unless one person has had several of each, a fair opinion is not something that's easy to formulate.  Bottom line is that you're not going to get a dozen members saying one is better than the other.  What you will get is... I got a Suburban, works great.  I got an Atwood, works great.  I got a Suburban, had a problem with it.  I got an Atwood, had a problem with it.  One person would say they'd never get another Suburban.  Another woudl say they would definitley get another Suburban.  One person would say they'd never get an Atwood again, another would say they would definitely get another Suburban.

Suburban or Atwood.  Take your pick.  The components and systems are basically the same.  What can go wrong with one can go wrong with the other.

Take measurements of your furnace area, note the wiring and duct configurations.

You should research the replacement models and see if there are known service issues on certain models and see if there are product ratings on others which may help.  There are plenty of websites of suppliers listed in the Member Area, Resource List which you can refer to an you can call many of them and their tech support can suggest replacements based on your measurements, etc.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca