Load Center Main Breaker

Started by audioguyinMI, August 01, 2011, 01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguyinMI

Hi All,

I've got a '75 Indian and the main breaker is becoming resistive and suffering nuisance blows.  Doesn't matter whether we're on shore power or off the genny, the reaction is the same.  Is this breaker a standard item, or should I look to replace the whole load center? 

I'm quite a technical guy so executing the project won't be a problem either way... just looking for the sage advice of someone who's been there before.  The branch breakers are fine and never trip.  It's the main breaker that gets warm on both the legs and trips about every half hour when it's hot out and the appliances are being used.  Of course it never trips when it's 70F out.  When it's 100F like it's been recently, it trips regularly.

Thanks for any info anyone has to lend.

-Bill

OldEdBrady

If it's anything like house breakers, it CAN become flaky.  I'd change the breaker first and see whether that's the problem.  Lot cheaper and easier to try that first.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Can also be a sign of loose connections and/or corrosion.  Unplug the rig and make sure all you connections are good and tight.  Bad connections cause lower voltage.  Appliances have to draw more current to overcome the loss of voltage.

Dave
[move][/move]

audioguyinMI

Thanks guys.  I'm going to tear it apart tonight... we'll see what the visual inspection reveals.