Trailer Stabilizers (and what won't work)

Started by OldEdBrady, October 11, 2010, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

The old Alfa trailer (27 fotter) had rear stabilizers.  One of the POs backed her into something and destroyed those jacks.  So, they had to be replaced.

After having the old ones cut out, I went to the local RV store and purchased a set to replace them.  I followed the directions carefully.

I drilled 5/15" holes.  I raised the jacks up to the frame and then tried to put in the four bolts (each) that were required.  No dice.

The bolts started just fine.  Then they got a bit harder, but that was expencted.  After all, they were cutting themselves into the steel.

But, before long, they wouldn't cooperate any further.  So I used a "persuader":  a long bar on the wrench to help tighten them up.  That didn't work, either.

The bolts broke off.  Nothing could be done.  The jacks can't be mounted with the bolts  They won't cut through 1/4" (or maybe 5/8") steel.  The only solution is to justs weld them onto the frame of the trailer.

Had I known that up front, I wouldn't have bothered with the drilling, the bolts, the language, etc.  I'd just have had them welded. 

Just a "heads up."

ClassCKing

well...i have the welder  you have the provisions :D well geter done.....
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

OldEdBrady

I'm adding "front" stabilizers, too.  Just made that decision yesterday.

In this case, where they are mounted can be a bit critical.  If they're too far back from the front, they won't help much, and if they're too far forward, they could be torn to pieces going over a bump, or hitting a pothole.

In my case, I'm having them mounted just in front of the steps at the trailer door.  When folded, they will be about the same depth as the steps (give or take an inch).  Yet, it's far enough forward to provide stability to the trailer when it's parked.

This time, no drilling nor bolts.  They'll just be welded on.

OldEdBrady

The welding is done.  The trailer is now solid as a rock with the stabilizers in place.

The first set (for the rear) were purchased at an RV supply store.  They were about $120 for the pair.  They are rated for 4,000 lbs each.

The second pair are rated at 5,000 lbs. each.  And were only about $75 for the pair!  They were purchased at Harbor Freight.  This pair states very clearly, though, that they must extend a minimum of 13 3/4" when in use to be safe.  So, if your trailer doesn't have that much clearance from the ground, the second set wouldn't be for you.

jkilbert

instead of the store bought jacks you could do as dad did. get 2 front crank tongue jacks lile you have on the front of the trailer. he welded  a 4'  square tube that will slide over the bumper onto the jack.  slide them on and crank it up to level it up.  up front he used 2 ,6 ton bottle jacks. worked well on the old trailer
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt