'84 Elandan: Where is the drain for my potable water tank?

Started by Peter_Crowl, August 13, 2010, 08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_Crowl

I can't find a drain for my potable water tank. There's a stub out on the bottom of the tank that just goes 4" into the pump mount area and then is capped. I could connect to that but it would seem that there should be a bottom drain.

Anybody have a clue for me?

Thanks!

Peter
in Denver

ClydesdaleKevin

There should be a drain, but if its capped off maybe it was leaking at some point in its past, or a PO might have replaced the freshwater tank and not bothered to run it to a drain valve.

You can add one though.  Just get all the parts ready and then drill a hole in the floor near where you want the drain to exit.  Line up all the parts you bought so its accurate.  If there is water in the tank, you'll have to work fast, so assemble the whole shebang before uncapping the freshwater bung...uncap it and quickly screw the assembly you made to the bung.  If water gets on your floor it won't hurt anything...its constant water exposure that causes dryrot, not a onetime exposure.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

fgutie35

One more thing to add at what ClydesdaleVevin said, is to be aware that the fittings on your Elandan are NOT standard. Trust me I ran into the same problem when trying to look for parts and not even the RV parts places carried them or knew about them (specially the drain valves). For some reason, winnebago put a "self propietary" plumbing system on these rigs. If I could replace all of it for standard plumbing, I would do it, but right now I have no plumbing problems that would encourage me to do so.

Froggy1936

Another thing on my Mini I have to remove the panel in frt of the fresh water tank to access the drain valve  FYI  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Peter_Crowl

Thanks guys!
It seems I'll have to install a drain..not a big deal just didn't want to do it if one was already there that I hadn't found.
The diagrams on the Winnie site all start at 1990 - I'm an '84 :~(

But sometimes there are things to be learned from the logic  - or lack thereof - that you find in the diagrams of other models.

Peter

George-47

Peter, I just bought a 85 Elandan...went to Winnebago web site...called the home office 641-585-3535 explained my needs and got directed to a guy who asked what model I had then my e-mail address and sent me 9 files which have the plumbing, wiring, and some construction plans..hope this helps.
George