Is a Roof A/C Cover Necessary?

Started by MSN Member, December 07, 2008, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggrock1

Sent: 1/14/2004 2:26 PM

How necessary is the A/C cover? My Winnie still has the cover on A/C . It looks like it has been on there for at least 10 years. It might fall apart if I remove it. I am anxious to see what the A/C looks like after all this time but we still have a lot more winter to go here in AB Canada. I suppose I can buy another cover if necessary but won't if I don't need to.

Oz

Sent: 1/14/2004 11:18 PM

The roof A/C doesn't need the cover to operate, BUT, it does protect it from rain, snow, falling and propelled debris (like rocks from the truck in front of you).  I certainly wouldn't drive down the road without it on, thought.

You can get another cover however and I would only remove it to work on the A/C and then replace it.  Best bet, wait till spring, do what you gotta do, then replace it.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HAL

Sent: 1/15/2004 1:14 AM

The cover protects the AC coils and fan motor.  When you have the cover off, look at the fan motor.  If it's like mine, ou will find 2 oil orts.  You need to pul lthe plugs and lube.  I do mine every spring.                                           HAL

biggrock1

Sent: 1/15/2004 5:33 AM

Are we all talking about the same thing. I was referring to the cloth vinyl protective cover that kind of ties around the entire unit.

RS79Brave1

Sent: 1/15/2004 8:40 AM

my only thought to you is when we bought our RV in October it had not been covered and hornets got in and built their nests in the motor and froze it. Now we have an expensive replacement to do. 

Sea Hag

Sent: 1/15/2004 11:20 AM

No you don't need the vinal protective cover mine doesn't have one - but you do need to take it off before using the AC but it sounds like it will be awhile before you need to do that - Sea Hag

Oz

Sent: 1/15/2004 2:08 PM

:)rotflmao    WHEW!  Glad you cleared that up!

Ok, since we're talking about the vinyl cover, no you don't need it but it is great for keeping out rain and wasps when you're not driving it.  BE SURE to remember to take it OFF before driving though!  I forgot mine once and it got run over by a few cars before I retrieved it. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

biggrock1

Sent: 1/15/2004 2:14 PM

Great guys
If I don't need it on there I will take it off. There is not a lot of vinyl left on the cloth backing anyway and I am anxious to see what condition the A/C is in.