Anyone Familiar with Solar-powered RV Fridge Vents

Started by Cakeman2253, January 08, 2011, 11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

Solar-powered RV Fridge Vent  Do they actual work?

Since I spend so much time on the beach and in the sun I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these. My new refer sits a little closer to the upper inner wall than I would have liked. I don’t believe I will have any cooling issues, but since I have only tested the new unit in my driveway, I can’t tell. I thought this might be a cheap alternative/insurance. I have seen pricing from $89 on Amazon to about $140 on the all might web. Anyone familiar with them? Do they work?
First link has a video

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/rv-solar-fridge-roof-vents.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42165-Refrigerator-Solar-System/dp/B0012FEX5K

Thanks
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

tiinytina

in theory I would think the convection cooling would still suffice for your unit as long as the lower vents in the access door in back of fridge are clear. I don't know if the extra air flow would cause the propane stack any problems or not depending where the fan draws from.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ibdilbert01

I'm with Tina on this one.

With that being said, I've read some articles where they claim the cooler you can keep the coils on the back side of the fridge the more efficient the fridge will be.   However I have my doubts in a factory setup the increased efficiency can even be measured.

I'd be more worried of a fire hazard if the space is too narrow, but it should be clear in the manual how much is recommended.   If that is the case, a solar powered fan probably won't prevent a fire in a 100 degree day at night.

On a final note, I seriously doubt it would hurt anything to add one, and its cool to say "I have a solar powered fridge vent", if followed up with "and the fridge is full of beer".
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!