Mounting an Awning and Solar Panles on a Fiberglass Coach Body

Started by coastalgal, January 09, 2011, 05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalgal

Has anyone had experience with ADDING an awning to one of these fiberglass coaches, or is it not a good idea to make holes in an otherwise smooth, non-leaking surface? And why would I want an awning...I live on the Oregon coast where the sun rarely shines to need an awning.

what about topside...adding solar panels to charge batteries?

rcaircraftnut

I am interested in this also as my 72 Starcraft is all fiberglass as well. Im in Portland, cool to see more Northwest members. Welcome.

Oz

Awnings also keep your chairs, table, grill etc. from getting wet when it rains so you can still go outside and use them as well as allowing you walk in and out of the rig without the rain coming right in your door.  It also gives you shade when the sun is a bit too sunny. 

There's no difference between mounting an awning on a fiberglass choach than on an aluminum skinned coach.  You just have to make sure your screws go into the wood framing..  lay a bead of caulk behind the awning and in the screw holes or... far better... a strip of eternabond tape.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DanD2Soon

Fiberglass makes it a lot easier to find those frame members that you want to make sure your awning and solar panels are fastened to.  A regular digital stud finder works great!

coastalgal

Thanks for the advice and suggestion. It's reassuring that this can be done.........now I'm off to find an awning and stud finder. Coastal gal in OR