Removing Bunk above driver

Started by Madathlon, January 25, 2011, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

Has anyone just simply removed this upper bunk and what did you do with that space? Im concidering to do it to mine seeing no reason to have it there.

Also is it hard to get that big bum bunk out of there?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Lefty

Several members have done that, and many have converted the space into entertainment centers (for tv's), or for additional storage.
Bear in mind that the bunk is held in place by two very large, and very powerful springs... And if you do not pre release the tension on them before unbolting it, it's likely to cause you serious bodily harm, or even kill you.
I've never done the procedure myself, so I cannot/will not advise you on the how's.... I'll leave that to another member who has actually performed the procedure themselves. I just wanted to give you a heads up that those springs are big enough and strong enough to hurt you big time if you unbolt it before releasing them safely....
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Madathlon

Ya, that would be very important to know first, Id also like to see pic of what has been done to these spaces
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

It's not a difficult removal at all, but the unit is pretty heavy and awkward to move in there.  It's best handled with two people but can be done by one person..

[smg id=175]
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Madathlon

drools over the workman ship.. That's ^&*% awesome! How do I deal with the springs with out killing myself?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DaveVA78Chieftain

1st a question - Do you have the overhead bed that is hinged at the front or do you have the one that has the cross braces at the side?

Hinged version is just heavy (2 person job) but does not have the heavy and dangerous springs on each side.

Cross brace version - AT the risk of sounding like a broken record, using the serach feature (overhead bunk) gives you the answer
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=4380.0
Again, due to weight and heavy spring pressure, bed removal is a 2 person job

Dave
[move][/move]

jkilbert

on the spring loaded bunk, since the springs are used to raise the bunk and keep it up, they are loaded more in the down position. (more tension). i had to repair my curbside wall, so i had to remove the lift mechanism. it's much easier to do while raised
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Madathlon

what I have is the one that has 2 cross arms with a large box at the top. I will be removing this myself alone. Maybe a chain saw to cut the bunk out first?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Froggy1936

I removed my rear overhead (spring type) bunk by myself and sold the complete unit to a person makeing a camper out of a box truck So i would advise not to destroy it. Some other camper owner may need to install one also. You have to be carefull of not getting caught in lever arms when dismounting boxes (must be done in raised position)  it can be done by one person if able to carry the weight of the unit  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

The bunk unit itself can be removed from the lowering arms first.  The process is extremely simple.  You can figure it out just by looking at it.  The only important point is, as previously noted and is pretty much common sense, the bunk needs to be in the up-most postiion so that the springs aren't extended.  This, and much, much more is covered in the Eyebrow Winnebago Coach Manual. 

Madathlon

I know life would be so much easier if I had the manuals, But right now it is simply not in the budget. I do plan on getting a full membership on Tuesday
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Cakeman2253

I pulled mine out. The hardest part was, I didn’t want to cut the wood base. It took a little twisting to get it out in one piece. I will try to get a pic loaded this weekend. I created a shelf. It worked out nice for me, since I don’t have young children. I am 6"4" and it is a lot easier getting into the driver’s seat.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

ClydesdaleKevin

When I removed the bunk from the Ark for Patti to do the wallcoverings, and when I removed the bunk out of Excalibur altogether because I kept hitting my head on it  $@!#@!  , I used heavy duty zip ties, a lot of them, to keep the springs and arms compressed.  Then I removed the wooden part of the box so that all that was left was the frame with the springs on either side.  Then I was able to unbolt the center section apart and take out the frame in two peices.  Again, WATCH THAT FRAME TENSION!  Those springs can hurt you!  Like I said, I used a bunch of heavy duty zip ties to keep the frame closed and unable to spring open.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

So best to remove the bunk with it in the fully raised
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz