Two burners won't light: Coleman Furnace 4023-889

Started by Frank M, February 18, 2012, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

The Coleman furnace in my 72 Brave is not throwing heat like it used to. I lit it up and everything seems to be working as it should except it seems that only one of the three burners is lighting. Only the middle heat exchange tube gets warm. I want to pull the burners out and clean them. Does anyone have a repair manual or instructions on how to disassemble? It seems simple but I don't want any surprises. Thanks

LJ-TJ

Ok, if you have the same Colman that I have, then I had the same problem that you have. It was a dirty furnace. A bunch of Lady bugs decide to take up residency in the furnace and plugged it up. It really isn't that hard to clean. First make sure the propane is turned off at the tanks. Once you've taken the front cover off disconnect the main propane line to the furnace at the furnace. Once you've done that undo the ten nuts on the front of the furnace and slide the burner out. From there your on your own as everything is accessible. Just take a wire brush and clean everything up and blow it out with air. It's that easy.

That's about it, then just put her back together. Hope this is what you were looking for.

jkilbert

had the issue with mine from sitting. between rust and paper wasps, it wouldn't even light. having it out is a good time to give it a thorough cleaning. i know that if it ain't broke don't fixit is a good rule, but between hot water tanks and furnaces it seemed like we had to keep stock in thermocouples. they're cheap, probably wouldn't hurt to change it out while you have the easy access.

john
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Frank M

Thanks for the pics. This is the same as mine. I took it apart and cleaned the burner. Found that a regular hacksaw blade works great for cleaning the slots of the burners. Also cleaned the brass nozzle and blew out all the junk. After a good cleaning and a reinstall the motorhome is nice and toasty. Went up about 10 degrees in about 20 minutes. Left it cycle a few times and called it a success. Thanks again for the pics and instruction.