440 Freeze Plug BLOWN

Started by LJ-TJ, February 10, 2011, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey gang got a chance to buy a 73 21footer in Cecil Georgia about a mile in from I-75 that keeps blowing the freeze plug or plugs something possibly to do with pressure. Anybody got any ideas. Any suggestion much appreciated.Thanks a million.

http://georgia.findanyrv.com/recreational-vehicles/1973-winnebago-brave-dodge-440ci-engine.html

Froggy1936

Hi TJ That is a very unusual problem, Could be a cracked block or replacement freeze plug made in China Ha Ha .  There are a lot of weaker places in the cooling syestem to releive pressure even from a bad head gasket. other than getting the veh back to that country you live in  He. It sounds like a good deal even if you have to replace the engine (possibly with the one you just overhauled) The smaller engine would have to work harder but could be done.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

GWINGER

That engine has a lot of freeze plugs(core plugs), 12-14 of them. They may be changing them as they rust out. The best thing to do is change all of them to brass plugs and live life happily ever after. The heads and the block has plugs. They cost very little, the labor can be a different story. To get to two of the plugs you have to move the trans back and install them. Hammer, chisel, punch and a mix of sockets are all the tools that you need. (trans jack if you change all)
J

jkilbert

i've never seen freeze plugs just randomly blow out. again, is it the same plug or a different one each time? the only ones i've had go have rusted out. like anything else if one goes the rest are sure to follow, so replace all of them with the good brass ones.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

LJ-TJ

Well Lads thanks for all your help seems it's moot point now. I've been trying to work something out with the gentlman but he seem to have lost interest in selling me the rig. Shame. Some were out there is a nice little 21 footer Classic Eyebrow 440 Winnie with Laurens and my name on her. BUT we will have one good or bad in time for the International Jam.  :)clap