Brake Master Cylinder Access Hatch

Started by LJ-TJ, November 22, 2010, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Brake Fluid Access Hatch

One of the most annoying things about this old girl is that there is virtually no access to the master brake cylinder. It is tucked up under the floor with barely 2 inches to spare. Very difficult to add fluid and impossible to see inside without a mirror. And given the impending brake system replacement, I thought it was time to fix it.

I found this nifty deck plate at West Marine. The hole it presents is 6 inches in diameter and the cover threads on. There is a rubber gasket that will provide a waterproof seal. I figure if it is good enough for the deck of a boat, it should be good enough for this problem. They also come in 4" and 8" sizes. You can even get one with a clear lid.

I used my handy Roto-Zip tool to cut the hole to the right size and popped it in. 6 #8 stainless screws finished the job. Once I'm done with the carpet, I'll be sure to add some silicon to prevent leaks and some eterna-bond to protect the plywood edges.

LJ-TJ

George-47

rcaircraftnut

I am going to do this or something very similar to my Starcraft. It took me 10 min to find the master tonite, haha.

uglydukwling

Did you have to cut a floor support and if so, did it affect the stiffness of the floor?
On mine, there's a floor-support channel exactly where the hole would have to go. It's a pretty confined space (after all, that's the reason for the access hole) so I don' think I can get in to weld extra support. Otherwise, I'd have installed an access hatch long ago.

Oz

An idea... if you have a suport beam in the way, I don't think I'd cut it.  But, you could cut through the sheet meat right next to it and use a flexible tube funnel.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Yeh! I have to agree with Mark. I'm not familiar with your style of rig but I would hesitate to cut any support beam (what ever). Like Mark I might be inclined to cut the inspection plate so the beam ran right down the center of the hole say what two inches each side of the beam leaving the beam in place. Then just cut the inspection plate cover to cover the hole may be even cut out another piece to go around the hole as a reinforcement.  Hm?

JDxeper

TJ
Was you floor plywood?  Not metal like the later models?
My 78 Dodge chasis has a metal floor.
Some of the Chevy chassis has a port that is cover by the carpet.

I looked at your post and saw the plywood.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

No mine was metal. That was an old one