Starter issues

Started by mycommander, March 02, 2011, 09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mycommander

Today I went tout start the Commander and all I got was a "click-click", batteries are fully charged, but what odd to me is it started fine 2 days ago. After the starter clicks the amp gauge goes to 8, some time it will come back to 12+, but other times it wont and I have to shut off the key. I used my starter over ride button and it does the same thing. Now that say's starter right? The reason I am unsure is due to the way the amps draw down to 8 and stays like that, or comes back on its own. Also, I noticed that the oil light next to my trans temp gauge will flicker too, It has never done that before. I noticed that it has a relay. I felt the relay as I turned the key and can feel it work. Any advice would help. Thanks, Scott 

Sorry Pharaoh, I titled it wrong and corrected it.

When it rains, it poors!! Or it's my buzzard luck. $@!#@!
Thank you, Scott

Madathlon

Just read your PM about this. Sorry i dont have one, but have you tried jumping the starter solenoid? This is a easies way to test the starter, if that dont work pull the starter and take it down to Kragens/O'reilly and have it tested for free

PS change the tread title before the big guy deletes the thread.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

mycommander

Yeah, I did try to jump it, and it did nothing. I am sure its the starter, just wanted a second. Lights went on as I said that never did. I gotta find a bigger heavy duty one one day. Thanks Mark, I appreciate the help. I hope to be able to help you with your rig one day soon.
Thank you, Scott

mycommander

Got the starter in, she fires right up. Because the old starter dragged I always thought the timing was too far advanced, well I set by ear today, until I get a light and NO MORE POPPING!!!!! I am very happy! Now just the roof leak. Thanks all for the advice.
Thank you, Scott