Aftermarket universal parking brake

Started by ibdilbert01, March 23, 2013, 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibdilbert01

Found on my 70 Chieftain, not factory, was (is) a Mico brake lock switch.

http://www.mico.com/products/lever-lock

Its really nothing more than a valve allowing you to hold brake pressure.   So when your ready to park, you give it some brake, flip the lever and your done.   In mine they mounted it on the wall down by the factory parking brake. 

I think it would be a nice additive especially if you have the old trail shaft shoe brake setup.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

So, it's a mechanical brake pedal lock which holds the brake pedal in position when depressed, keeping pressure on the entire brake system or does the pedal return but the lever somehow maintains the pressure applied to the hydraulic system?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Mark,
It's a hydraulic locking system. When you apply pressure to the brakes, and then flip the lever on the brake lock, it will then hold that pressure on the brakes. To release them, you just flip the lever back to the off position. It uses check valves,and is installed inline on the rear brake circuit. It doesn't attach to, or lock the actual brake pedal...

It uses the rear brakes to hold the vehicle immobile.
The website he referenced also lists multi-circuit models for locking both front & rear axles, as well as remote cable operated and electric toggle switch operated models, for installation anywhere you can mount a toggle switch.

This is definately an improvement in holding power over the stock driveshaft parking assembly.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Elandan2

Yes. You need that line lock for the front brakes when you are doing burnouts at the dragstrip.  :D  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck