Hot water tank bypass and valves

Started by Brave Brave, October 18, 2011, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Brave

OK- last question(s) for the moment.  I am looking at the service info on the hot water tank- an Atwood model.  It does not answer this question.  Do I need the bypass hose between the valves?  My valves are locked up but water is going into the tank- just not out.  I twisted and twisted them to no avail.they are locked into place where they are.   I'ms sure I will have to replace them.  I can drain water from it (tank) and through the T/P valve but nothing comes out the hot side.  Is this one of the things I need to get from a RV place and use the exact replacements?  Is this something you can just put a T into and forgo the shut offs?  Is that bypass needed??  Is that too many questions for one post??  LOL-  thanks in advance.

tiinytina

The object of the bypass kit (which are universal) is so that when you pump the pink water line antifreeze into your water lines you don't fill up the water heater with it. (Doesn't need any since you empty it). Plus the kit comes with new 1/4 turn valves usually...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

Looks like one of the valves won't open. The one on the bottom is the outlet, one on top is inlet.  Outlet is not open.  They are not very expensive. Here's an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-37463-Supreme-Replacement-Heater/dp/B000EDQQCE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318987367&sr=8-2

JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hmm, I am afraid you got that reversed JD.  Hot water rises.

Top fitting is hot water outlet

Bottom fitting is cold water inlet.

I confirmed that with an Atwood installation manual.

Dave
[move][/move]

Brave Brave

Ahh.   I wondered if it was some sort of way to keep air out or maybe some way to prevent scalding or something.  That makes perfect sense now... yes the valves are locked up tight.  After twisting off the valve handles a big wrench twisted off the stems...  Thanks so much for the link to replacements- they are now on the way... cant wait to have that HOT SHOWER working!! 

JimVol

My bypass valve froze last year before I knew what I was doing after I bought my trailer.  The part was no longer made, so I had to fabricate my own bypass system for my hot water heater. 

I used PEX and friction coupler's and  friction ball valves to rebuild my system. 
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney