vent temp on roof

Started by recycled55, February 01, 2012, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recycled55

How hot does the air get coming out of the roof vent when its powered by AC only?
I have to tarp the roof for a while until weather breaks to late springtime and want to keep the reefer running.  The tarp hangs down sides for about a foot and is held up by the AC unit.
I know this isn't recommended but will "it work for now"?
recycled55
84 winniebago chieftain 22   SOLD
2007 four winds hurricane - I know not a classic

HandyDan

I was going to say that circulating the air would be the problem but the more I think about it, I'm not sure that would be an issue.  Good question and one I would be interested in the answer.  Basically you have a heat rod next to the ammonia tube.  It just heats the tube.  I don't see why there would be any excess heat going up the flue.   
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

recycled55

I went out to the MH today and felt the back of the fridge and it is just mildly warm.  I think this is going to be alright this way.
I burped my fridge because it was only mildly cooling the freezer and now its working really good.  Saved a few bucks that I can now use elsewhere.
I don't want to turn the fridge off because from what I've read it seems best to keep them operating. I have it plugged in to ac here at home.
No mechanical moving parts to wear out.
Its a good thing I looked at my propane line when I went to hook it back up. It had a lengthwise crack in the fitting. That could have been a nasty problem.
recycled55

ClydesdaleKevin

Wow Recycled!  I'm glad you found that fitting crack...not a good thing with propane at all!  As far as vent temp goes, its gonna get hot no matter what, especially tarped off.  I tarp off my workshop tent, but I always use white tarps...keeps it way cooler inside.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JDxeper

You need the air circulation for the refrig to work properly.  Keep a close eye on it for heat build up in the back of the refrig near the heating tube.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

OldEdBrady

Use a tarp a little wider than what you really need.  Put a bottle jack at each end of the vent to hold the tarp up, and allow a little air circulation from the vent.  You could even put a piece of 2x4 on the jacks to keep sagging on the vent.

recycled55

Checked the fridge today after being on for 24 hrs. With my laser thermometer it is 1 degree in freezer and 38 in fridge. Burping does work!
recycled55

ClydesdaleKevin

I remember Mark mentioning how he tarps off his roof with 2x4s and jacks and whatnot so it was protected, but shed the rain and also let the AC units and fridge vent with enough airflow to function properly.  I'm sure there is a post about it here somewhere.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Correct, Kevin.  I got cheap, 1 ton jacks (4 of them), padded the tops with old socks and duck tape, screwed the bases into 18"x18"x1" pieces of scrap wood and adjusted the heights to keep the tarp elevated off the roof, running them in a line down the center of the roof.  The wood bases not only prevented the jack bases from cutting into the roof, they also made them much more stable.  I went further and made a PVC pipe skeleton which was supported in the center by these stands so it was like a Conestoga wagon sorta looking thing. 

Either way, the tarp kept the roof dry and protected and I could run the fridge or roof AC and have plenty of airflow for them.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

polarman

I wish I could tarp my roof, but the wind is extreme at my house, especially in the winter. I've left the fridge running on electric and gave the roof a thorough going over in the fall and will again in the spring. Luckily, we have had nearly no snow this winter, so I have not had to worry about clearing it off. With the wind I have here, it would be likely that it will blow the snow off unless it is heavy wet snow, in which case i have a small plastic shovel.
If the fridge is running on electric, there should be no heat to make a warm spot on the roof, correct? The colder I can keep the roof, the less likely that snow will stick to it.
Delhi Lodge #439 Free and Accepted Masons

brians1969

There will still be heat coming out regardless of the source of heat (electric or flame).
brian