Newmark DCV30F Converter replacement

Started by mcgyver, March 28, 2012, 01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgyver

Howdy folks, Need a little advice, going to replace my converter, a Newmark dcv30f with a new one. Any advice on type ,brand or extra things needing to be done to upgrade, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Looking at an  Inteli Power 9200 RV Converter Charger PD9245V 45 Amp, or maybe DLS-45 (45 Amp Power Converter w/IQ4). Any info please, I just remodeled the Explorer and do not want to burn it down. Thanks, Gary

DaveVA78Chieftain

The PD9200 is 3 stage charger out of the box.  The pendant is a user convience item but not required for 3 stage operation.  I have the PD9260 and am happy with it.

The IOTA DLS-45 is only a 3 stage charger if you have the IQ/4 option.  I personally do not like the 13.4/13.6 float voltage of the IOTA.  Older single stage converters were designed to run at 13.6 all the time and resulted in many boiled dry batteries.  The PD9200 reverts from 13.6VDC to 13.2VDC for float if there has been no loads on the system for 30hrs.  This lower voltage is places much less stress on the battery.

Several people here are using the 3 stage Powermax Boondocker converter (http://www.bestconverter.com/PowerMax-Boondocker-Converters-_c_154.html) and have been satisfied with it.  Only one problem been reported so far and the supplier replaced it with out any problems.

SIze of converter will depend on loads and battery bank size in Amp Hours (AH).

Dave
[move][/move]

HandyDan

I have the Inteli Power 9200 55amp model and I'm quite happy with it.  No noise, very little heat, and charges battery sufficiently.  Much better than the original 45 amp metal box.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Whichever converter you choose, I highly recommend getting it from BestConverters.com.  Randy and the rest of the folks that work there are also RVers, and are AWESOME about warranty issues and replacements.  They also have some of the best prices around.

We have a Powermax Boondocker 100 amp unit...you probably won't need one with so high an output, but we boondock a lot, and have a huge battery bank and power needs.  They make them in smaller amp outputs too, and are very reasonably priced, and very easy to install.  Plug and play...wire it in, plug it into an outlet, and you are ready to go.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

mcgyver

Well as I suspected, all my time looking around was for naught, all the info I need you guys have. Thanks Dave, Handydan and Kev for the time and knowledge. Looks like I am going with the PowerMax PM3B-45. I am getting it from Bestconverters also.
The old Newmark is still working great but, for how long?  i??Thought I'd best replace it now after all the work I have put into everything else she at least needs a new heart. The Newmark will be a backup.
Thanks again guys, you waste no time helping a guy out. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

While I am not familure with the Newmark brand, the original converters were single stage and the ones that boiled the battery dry.  So, moving to a modern 3 stage version is a definite improvement.

Dave
[move][/move]