Motor aid water heater: Original Equipment or Aftermarket?

Started by Wantawinnie, April 09, 2012, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wantawinnie

Just discovered that my '73 rig has a water heater with the motor aid heating system. Was that an option or something added later? I am a little worried about all those old lines running engine coolant back to the heater. I checked them out and they seem solid but looks can be deceiving. I assume that the lines can just be bypassed without any trouble. Hm?

I would hate to have one start leaking and leave me stranded or worse, fry the engine.
D:oH!

DaveVA78Chieftain

They are the big rage in the late model gas motorhome market now days.  Diesels prefer the Aquahot systems.  All comes down to the condition of the hoses and the water heater itself.  Full timers love them.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

We had it on the Itasca, but the water heater was shot so I bypassed it at the engine...just follow the hoses and close the loop. 

We have it now on the Holiday Rambler, and we LOVE it!  Hot water at every stop!  And if you run out of propane, you can run your engine for 10-15 minutes, and get hot water!  Its a brilliant design!

Just check the hoses and fittings for leaks periodically, but in my opinion its worth keeping.  If our water heater ever dies, we'll be replacing it with one just like it that has the engine heat exchanger option...we love it that much!

From what I researched about them, its virtually impossible for you to get a coolant leak into your water supply.  The heat exchanger part is built so heavyduty it will outlast the tank itself.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Surprisingly, the same brand of water heaters (and furnaces as well) were not used on all the Winnebagos back in the early 1970s.  Actually, the more you learn about all the "exceptions to the rules" which exist with the early Winnebagos, it's really not surprising.  You could get one which had an Atwood or a Bowen or other make in the same year, same model.  So, it could be original or it could have been a replacement as well.  After all, look how many years passed we're talking here.  Someone could have replaced it in the 1980s or 90s.  My guess?  Probrobly original from your description and, either way, a replacement sounds in order.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wantawinnie

Scanning through the coach manual I downloaded from the site actually mentions the 6 gallon motor aid water heater as an option. I thought it seemed original and should have checked that first but at least we all know now.

Oz

Well, that's super!  One more reason this rare manual is a great resource.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca