Need rear roof ladder or universal roof ladder

Started by Oz, June 12, 2012, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSky Camper

I have a 1978 Chinook Concourse MH.  The one thing that I've not been able to find up to now and am hoping for some help with is the ladder for the back of the rig. I've seen the universal ladders that are readily available, but the one needed for this application is much smaller and the roof attachment is right at the edge of the roof. Does anyone know of a source for an oddball sized ladder?
Thanks,

BigSky Camper

ClydesdaleKevin

We got our universal ladder on eBay...and they are fully adjustable...you cut them to fit, even where they mount to the roof.  If it mounts right at the edge, you are lucky...on ours I had to add an extention since it mounts so far forward on the roof.

They also sell them at Camping World.

Depending on the size of the ladder, you might even be able to go with a custom van type ladder.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BigSky Camper

Thanks very much for your reply. 
I have seen the universal replacments, but am unsure as to weather the top section would work.  The mount on the top of my MH requires that the ladder attach vertically to the roof - so the curved part of the ladder would need to make a very tight "U" turn in order to fit.  Can that portion of the universal ladder be adjusted that much?  It's not that I couldn't modify something to work, its just that I would much rather find a good fit that doesn't require a lot of work.........basically, I'm tired of working on it!!!!
Thanks

ClydesdaleKevin

Yes it will work.  You can cut the aluminum before the apex of the curve, so that when you mount the mounting feet to the ladder, they stick straight out at the side of the RV instead of curving over the top.  The mounting feet are something you have to put on the ladder anyway, and you can configure them that way easily.

Again though, you might also want to look into van ladders, since they are already configured the way you want them, and they are cheaper.  Heck, you might even be able to find one in a junkyard off a van, that would fit your RV.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.