plugging motorhome into extension cord

Started by pigsticker, June 26, 2012, 04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigsticker

Folks,
I have been a member for awhile and this site has always answered every question I have ever had with out having to ask anything... Well I have a question I cant find an answer to...

I have a 1978 Winnebago Brave 30 amp ... Can I get adapter and plug into standard orange extension cord from the garage?

Thanks in Advance
Al

DonD

Mine is plugged into a 15a circuit with the adapter via a 10ga cord directly to the outlet. If there's nothing else on this circuit, it handles even the single AC  OK..If my hot tub filter/heater comes on it's game over. Had a friend using her for a guest house for a few days and I just ran the tub at night only, no problem, he was very comfy.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

OldEdBrady

The Alfabago is plugged in a cord, and has been almost the entire time we've been in Missouri.  My only problem is the circuit can't handle the a/c.

That's not a fault of the cord, however.  In Utah I used the same cord and the a/c ran just fine.  It's the amperage of the circuit.

So, can it be done?  Of course.  How well will it work?  Depends on the amperage of the circuit and whatever else is on that circuit.

JDxeper

I plug my 78 Brave(identical to yours) in a 15 amp circuit with an adapter, I can run the AC with nothing else on, just watch the load, the AC will pull 10-12 amps.  It is really hot here in SW MO.\
Use a heavy duty extension cord.
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Walmart carries the adaptor in the RV section.
I have upgraded my converter to a modern 3-stage one so mine is always plugged in using the method you are asking about.  You just cannot run the AC or a electric water heater do to current limitations.  Trying to run the AC connected this way can burn up the capacitors in it.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...rule of thumb is that a standard 15 amp extension cord is fine for running your basic systems and converter.  If you are going to run high draw items like your AC, then you need a heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

I also was able to run the RV off a regular house receptacle with an adapter (found one in an Junked RV).  With my first rig, I couldn't run the Air Conditioner.  It was the original Coleman 13,500 btu.  With my 3rd RV (same kind as the first), after I installed a new, Carrier V 13,500 btu roof air conditioner, I was able to run it!  I could do that and run everything else except the microwave oven at the same time.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pigsticker

Thanks for all your help !!! and piece of mind...

I am headed to Table Rock Lake the week of the 4th and since the campgrounds are all full gona hang out in my folks yard... And yes it is hotter than blue balzes here in SWMO ...the ac is the only thing I am worried about running, its a new unit not the one from the factory so hopefully it will work. Going to try it at home first...
Thanks again