Fuel Tank Solenoid failure

Started by Spen64, June 28, 2012, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spen64

A couple weekends ago I was on the road and the MH quit running when coming up to a stop light.  Got it started just enough to coast off to the side....

I did the usual checks and found I was getting no fuel to the Carb.  Figured it was Fuel Pump or Filter.  Replaced both and still the same.  The Fuel filter wasn't filling up.  So I bypassed the tank solenoid so I would just run off the main tank and she started right up!!

My question is, when the solenoid fails does it typically fail in the closed position not allowing any fuel for either tank? 
I would think it would fail in the open position so at least one tank would still supply fuel.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If this is a 3 hose nipple (one wire connection) version fuel selector valve, then with no power applied it should select main tank.  Power applied, the valve shifts to aux tank.  There is no OFF position.
[move][/move]

Spen64

Hmmm.

I would guess the power is supplied with the ignition switch?Maybe it's plugged up.  It is before the fuel filter so crud might have got inside the valve.  I'll check that along with voltage to the valve with the tank selector switch to the AUX position.

DaveVA78Chieftain

This is the style valve I am reffering to
[move][/move]

Spen64

Looks just like that except a lot older...... :D