Original 19.5" wheel covers

Started by Wantawinnie, July 05, 2012, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wantawinnie

In 1973 did Winnebago offer wheel covers for the 19.5" wheels? If so does anyone have a picture of the style?

Thanks

Oz

Although your VIN may indicate your Chieftain II is a 1973, take a look at the month of manufacture.  My guess is that it was built in late 1972.  This is very common and confusing to people.  The Model year is actually 1972.  Look at the Winnebago - Previous model years in the Member Area Resource section.  Unfortunately, the brochure for that year doesn't have an actual photo of the RV at all.  It's only 4 pages long to boot.  I also wasn't aware they used 19.5" wheels on that model and it's not mentioned in the brochure as standard or optional either.  But... exceptions to the rules IS the rule, rather than the exception.

Also, your data shows an M400 Chassis with 440 motor.  That's the big change from the actual model year which was an M375 with 413.  1969 through 1974 were like major evolution years.  You can see it in so many places on the rigs.  In 1974, the Chieftain II 28' was dropped and a 29' Chieftain was added, for only that year as well. 

So, your rig is pretty rare, like the 29'.  It may be difficult to find photos of the wheel covers.  I hope someone has one!

Yours has twin furnaces too? (That's in the brochure as well).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wantawinnie

There were twin furnaces originally. I just removed the non working unit from under the kitchen cabinet a few weeks ago to free up some more storage space.

According to the Dodge data tag this chassis was built in January 1973 which may explain the 440 and the one piece 19.5" rims. I have disc brakes in front and RM400 is on the tag as well. Someone on here(maybe Dave?) mentioned the RM400 became the M500 in later years.  i??

I just got this picture sent to me and they were on a 1973 Winnebago Chieftain with the same rims. I have no way to prove these are correct but it is a start. They do match pictures of ones I saw on another 1973 Chieftain but, that was an early year model with a 413. Neither of these are Chieftain II models BTW.

Thanks for the help.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The chassis redesignation is contained in the Introduction section of 75-75 Servive Manual.

RM300 = M300
RM350 = M400
RM400 = M500

You can however run into aftermarket listings that use either style.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

If that photo is for the 19.5" wheels, it's the same as ones found on the other wheel sizes as well, I do believe.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wantawinnie

I just got a few more pics from the seller of these hubcaps and they are off a 1974 Chieftain. Not sure if these are they same or not now.  Hm?