Need Dodge replacement speedometer

Started by MSN Member, December 01, 2008, 10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/28/2005 4:12 PM

I have 1971 winnebago brave and i need to replace speedometer head . does anybody know what other Dodge units will fit? where does one go look ?

denisondc

Sent: 8/29/2005 7:21 AM

I think the speedo heads from most of the mid 60s through 1972 mopar trucks, pickups, and vans, at least the A100 series vans, had the same speedo. It would have the screw-on type speedo cable connection, not the push-on kind. I believe some of the cars used that same speedo, though they might read to 120 instead of 100.
I have seen them on ebay on several occasions, for prices like $50 or less, still in the mopar box. I got my extra one, complete with the instrument cluster and dashboard at a junkyard, for $25. You could search ebay for something like "mopar instrument cluster" or mopar speedometer or speedo. I also saw one NOS at an antique car show earlier this summer, so you might want to look in Hemmings Motor News too. It never hurts to try the better parts places. I have dealt with an on-line seller of obsolete mopar items, who might have access to some new speedos. If you dont find it elsewhere, you could send an email to dartman67(omit)@hotmail.(omit)com. I have dealt with him on several occasions, always well pleased with the results.

Thomas Budzowski

Just thought I'd mention, my speedo acted wacky (max one sde or the other and needle jumping).  Online I found rebuild kits(little plastic gears as well as speedo service centers).  Back to my point, disconnect cable from tranny and see if part of it pulls out,  I had broken cable and sometimes the two pieces were meshing and sometimes not, causing needle jumping.  May need to disconnect from speedo end to spray lube down cable due to it binding inside the housing to be able to pull cable out or resolve intermittent binding which can also cause needle jumping. My end result, from tranny end, short piece pulled out, purchased new cable and lubed prior to install and all is well now.

Tom

Stripe

Groovy, glad that worked out to be an easy fix.  I know the inner cable on mine looks like it could be used as a dremel snake.. :)

CMM500

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thomas Budzowski

As usual, the hard part was figuring out what the problem was as well as dealing with the doil globs (combination of dirt and oil) falling in my eyes!