locating and pricing a Carburetor for my Dodge 318?

Started by Jrcuss, September 28, 2012, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrcuss

Hi there everyone, Would anyone mind telling me where I can find a reconditioned carburetor for my Dodge 318 engine? I believe the one I have is a 0-0258 Carter.  It appears I either need to recondition the one I have or replace it with a 'new' one. Also, any idea what this is likely going to cost? Our D22 is in the shop and will stay there until I find a solution. We can't head south until I get her a healthy carb.

If anyone could recommend a better carb that will improve engine performance, I'm very interested in hearing about that also. Perhaps there is a silver lining here...Thank you in advance!  James

Oz

I'd suggest an Edelbrock Economizer 650cfm.  JEGS or Summit Racing.  They have new and rebuilds.  The Edelbrocks seem to be the carburetor replacements of choice.  Easy installation, minimal adjustments.  Both companies have great phone support as well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jrcuss

Hm? Thanks Mark, Summit and JEGS informed me that the 'economizer' only comes in the 600cfm. JEGS recommended the Edlebrok Thunder Series 1805. see link. http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1805/10002/-1 They told me this is new and improved and can be adjusted easily to suit. Quite pricey, however if it will work with no modifications etc, may be this is the way to go. The concern with the 600cfm is that it may run too lean? price is almost identical, the the Thunder seems a better bet.  If I go this route, the tuning kit is an extra $50 just in case it needs some finer tuning.

The other option I have is to send to Steve's Carb repair in NJ, one of your members was raving about this guy. He called me right back today and said he could recondition my Carter with 2 day turn around for $225 plus shipping. ...decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts or concerns with either of these options. Thanks again for your insights. James

Oz

Well, a rebuild is just as good as getting one from a supplier if the rebuilder is reputable and will give a warranty and it's cheaper than buying another one.  The thunder carb is a good choice too but remember, that series is for performance, not economy.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca