identification information, where can I find it?

Started by gothboy, October 09, 2012, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gothboy

So Ive located the identification tags on my 68 D22... But I dont know how to read them. Is there a place I can go online, some translator to tell me what all the information means? I'd like to know what engine, where it was made, and all that jazz.  The rear end, etc. anyone know where I go to find out please? Thank you.  :)

Oz

Look to your right and down a little on the side-bar... the Dodge VIN Decoder...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

gothboy

Well hell! I feel like a genius! :) I used the search, AND I looked everywherew I could think on here. I probably wasnt typing in the correct question lol. 

Well if thats what that is then what is the purpose of the serial number plate inside the RV? My VIN plate is right outside the door, and my serial plate is on the left inside my door behind the passenger seat. Is it more for "body" id or chassis id?

Please and thank you again my friend.

Oz

Ah... this is a very common "what the heck?" question.  Yes, the one inside is the body ID plate.  Typically, the body and chassis were made separately and then put together so, they needed a way to keep track of the body manufacturing just like the chassis.  However, some models had the chassis ID inside the entry door and the body ID plate next to the driver or passenger on the wall.  The locations of both vary pretty often.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

dezertgurl

Thanks to gothboy and mark for drawing my attention to the Dodge VIN Decoder sidebar! You guys just saved me a huge hassle with the dreaded DMV!!

Seems "someone"  :-[ misread my Winnie's title number when changing insurance companies recently. So the state rejected the insurance company's info.  When I got the letter saying VIN was incorrect, I went out to the Winnie and couldn't find any numbers except the coach VIN, which is way different from the VIN on the title.

I was beginning to think I'd have to go see the bureaucrats and attempt to get a whole new title when I found this thread. Aha, there's a Dodge VIN as well! Sure enough, a few minutes spent wallowing in the dirt under the Winnie proved that I'd only misread a letter S as a number 5.  Catastrophe averted, yippee!!

There's another fringe benefit, too: now I know a lot more details about my D20. Thanks again, this is exactly the sort of thing I joined Classic Winnebagos for.  :)clap

Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave

gothboy