Using commode with Antifreeze in it

Started by M & J, November 01, 2012, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M & J

Being a new owner to a 1987 Allegro, I'm curious about the use of the antifreeze and still being able to use the "facilites" in the coach.
My wife and I live the country and our power goes off not often, but enough to be a problem. When our power goes out, we lose our water since it takes 2 pumps to get the city water service up to the top of the ridge we live on.
One of the selling points of us getting a MH (see my introduction in the proper forum) was the ability to have a genset and modest comfort in the coach until power was restored. Now that winter is setting in I know I will need to purge the holding tanks and lines.

But my question is it still possible to use the toilet when needed with the antifreeze without concern to the black water tank?

Black Betty will be parked along side the garage and shore power applied fulltime during the winter. I already know I need to excercise the genny and run the coach engine regularly throughout the winter.

Thanks everyone.
M & J

Oz

The anti-freeze will not prevent you from using the commode or damage the black water tank.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Just use the eco friendly type RV antifreeze "the pink stuff"
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

It won't hurt anything to use the system with antifreeze in the lines, but just remember, every time you flush, you are now entering pure water into the lines, and dumping the antifreeze into the holding tanks.  If you don't re-add antifreeze to the lines, they could freeze and crack in a cold snap.  If you keep using the system, the antifreeze in the holding tanks could get too watered down to work effectively, and your tanks could get damaged by the cold weather.  Just use common sense...if you need to use it and its bloody cold, adjust your maintenance accordingly, like draining the tanks, adding more antifreeze, heated pipe wraps, tank heaters, etc.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

M & J

The use should be sparse and I plan on replacing the fresh water with several gallons of RV antifreeze so each use will keep replenishing the anitfreeze in the lines. I've already installed a water heater bypass when I replaced the hot water heater - the old one had not been winterized and the tank split like a watermelon.
Our over winter use will only be for power outages which typically last from several hours to maybe a day and overnight.
We're used to keeping cases of bottled water in the house for sanitary use (plus the occassional Zombie attack).
M & J

JDxeper

Just keep a gallon of antifreeze by the stool, pour in, use, flush. Then you won't have to worry about line. Or have a squirt bottle to rinse.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)