Advice on which refrigerator to buy/install?

Started by PwrWgnWalt, November 13, 2012, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

Have searched and read for the past two days about refrigerators ("refers") as we are looking for one to fill the void in our 'new' 27' Beach-Craft (it did not come with one installed).  Am looking for suggestions and input:

1. Appears the unit that originally came with the MH was a Dometic RM76/77 or RM100.  The opening
    measures roughly 56-3/4" high x 23-1/2" wide x 25" deep, allowing for plenty of options  (could
    possibly open the height a bit to fit the 60" newer models).

2. Will use often in remote areas without 110v hookup [Boondocking] , so am considering a 2-way
    refer that will run on 110v and LP (propane).  Do not believe we necessarily need 12v DC power, as
    there are/will be only 2 x 6v house batteries. Also do not want to be limited by using a home-type
    refer that only runs on 110v.  (The MH has a 5KW Onan generator, but it's condition is
    currently unknown).

3. Have read with much interest the stories of MH fires, possibly originating with ruptured cooling units
    and ignited hydrogen gas. Understand Helium can be used/retrofitted with some units(?), and even
    with the reduced efficiency would like to consider that possibility.

4. We think we'd like the unit to have two doors (freezer & fridge), automatic pilot light (with some sort
    of wind shield to keep her lit), and an electronic control panel.

5. We have been looking at:
      Dometic 2820
      Dometic 2852 or 2862
      Norcold 841
      as well as older, used, similarly sized units (7-8 cu. ft.)

If this were yours to do, given your experiences, what would you do?
Given the above and trying to keep it inexpensive, easy to install, and user-friendly, what suggestions would you have for us?

Many thanks!
Walt & Tina

ClydesdaleKevin

I wouldn't be too concerned by the hydrogen gas...a new unit or a used unit that doesn't have rusty coils or has new cooling coils isn't going to leak or rupture.  They are very safe.  The fires tend to start on the propane side of the fridge, if mice or birds start nesting in the flue, that sort of thing.  Some older models were recalled because of wind coming in and causing fires from the propane side, but those units were fixed with a wind shield. 

I prefer Dometic, but honestly, Norcold is just as good.

My advice also includes getting the biggest fridge you can fit, even if you have to open the cabinet up a bit. 

Definitely go with a 2 way.  We have 705 watts of solar and 6 deep cycle golf cart batteries, and even we wouldn't run a fridge off of 12 volts...they suck down a LOT of amp hours!  The 2 ways use VERY little propane, since all it takes to operate the fridge is a tiny little flame not much bigger than a pilot light.

Not sure what part of the country you are from, but if you are anywhere near Charlotte, NC there is an awesome little RV fridge store down here that specializes in taking older units, totally rebuilding them with new cooling coils and circuit boards and whatnot, and selling them for half the cost of new with a 3 times longer warranty.  I think they are in the member resources section.

Hope that helps!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

Search Norcold over on iRV2 before you buy. Big is good.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

PwrWgnWalt

Thanks Kev - solid advice.  Wish I were closer to somewhere that had a RV Fridge store... I'm in east/central MT, and I have not found any such place nearby. Also see that most (all?) of those places will not ship a used fridge.  Am mechanically inclined, so if I can find an old one nearby for the right price (cheap), am not afraid to do some R&R on it myself (new cooling unit, controls, whatever it needs). However, after all that work and the parts, seems the best thing is to get an already reconditioned one or a new one.

Don - also good advice.  I have read those posts and was a bit concerned with what I saw!  Beyond the recalls and fires, was curious if that was just for the newer units, or for all historically?  A full-line system flaw, or unit-specific?  (could not figure out from the posts).  That's kind of why I was leaning more toward Dometic, but as Kev said, I was hoping that if I can find a refurbished unit it might be better off.

I cannot recall who posted it, but thought I read someone had paid $100 extra to have Helium (instead of Hydrogen) in their unit?  Anyone know if this was a factory new thing, or done during a refurbishment? 
Walt & Tina

Oz

I paid $500 for a wreck of a rig just to get the Norcold fridge.  It was an excellent unit, about 12 years old at the time.  The electric didn't work but, it was a control board issue, @ $75 to replace it.  Since I only ran it on LP, I didn't even bother.  I never had any issues with it and you may be right, it could be the newer units which are more prone to the safety problems.  Am I surprised?  No, it doesn't take a genius to know how quality has gone down since the 1990s.

I would feel very comfortable with an older, refurbished or good condition unit.  Of course, the difficulty for you is finding one!

Check Craig's List for RVs being parted out would be one suggestion.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca