Solar power Winnye

Started by Wayfarer Malang, May 14, 2013, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayfarer Malang

I have been reading all the Solar power comments and I have some questions.
One has any one used http://www.hamiltonferris.com and are they good.
Were can one buy used Solar stuff
What are the best RV books on wiring (I live in my 74 Brave full time).
Why are people so attached to microwaves....
Can a 74 generator  be found the wiring is there. so i figure if i find the same generator it may make it easy...
or can I just get a inverter thiny and run my 110 from that?
Peace

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the group, and even with all my solar power experience I can't even begin to answer your deluge of questions coherently.  Never used Hamilton, used solar stuff is often found on eBay and Craigslist, TONS of books on RV wiring out there and they all either suck or are too specific to model, Microwaves are great for heating up leftovers and thawing out stuff quickly, and the wiring for a 74 genny should be pretty much the same for any year until you get into 50 amp systems. 

Best to post each question individually under the right board title to get the best answer.

And if you do a search using the search function, you'll find TONS of info for most of your questions.

And again, welcome to the group!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Wayfarer Malang

Thank you for the welcome and the reply... I have never posted any thing before and I am a little lost so it comes at once sorry.. My thoughts on microwaves is that are more trouble then that are worth and take up to much space and use to much power....
Peace

Oz

First off - not all books on the solar topic suck and aren't too model specific.  In fact, some of the best books on Solar RV electrical systems are written by one of our very own members - Colyn Rivers.   If you've been reading what we have here on solar, you'll see many posts were made by "Collyn down-under".  He's been with us for 10 years and has more experience and knowledge of the topic than anyone here who's only built a solar system specific to their RV and needs. 

Here's the topic which is a "sticky" at the top of this message board, with the link to his website:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7172.0.html
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wayfarer Malang

I love the book but I am at a loss on the ordering thingy, with no internet ordering I just don't know how

Oz

Since you are a Full Member, you can go to his profile and contact him via his email.

;)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

"Why are people so attached to microwaves...."

Fast and easy.    ;)   

My advice on panels, don't skimp and buy the cheapest you can find.   Our RVs actually do not have a lot of space so you need really good panels with a small footprint.   And stay away from any china panel, they simply do not put out the values they are rated at. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Wayfarer Malang

Thank you I will take all the advice i can get.  This girl tends to jump in head first and then looks for a way out.
How do you spell Mississippi  AHH the river or state? hmm SMILE :)rotflmao  microwaves.... how do cockroaches live in them......No microwaves....cockroches for this girl"
Peace

maxximuss

Well living out of a motorhome a micro wave probably would be a great investment.
We are lucky we have a really small one tucked into one of our storage compartments and is less then the .7 cubic feet you see now for a small one. faster to heat water for instant coffee, tea, oatmeal in the morning. Best yet you can get T.V. diners for $2 bucks, some times less, pizza pockets, etc. I'm sure there are healthier options but I'm just posting cheap options.

Wayfarer Malang

That is true they do heat things cheep but I have to go out side to change my mind. my clothes plus dishes well thats about all that fit in the storage of a 19 ft Winnye. Girl plus clothes =full motorhome :) that looks like it came from Hippieville..
Peace

ClydesdaleKevin

Didn't mean anything negative.  Just meant that after ALL the books I read, I found the most help here from you folks.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Wayfarer Malang

We understand, after all the books the real learning starts when you start applying what you read, those that have done it before find things was not said in the books like using a batter relay as a ground (why???).
Peace