88 SuperChief - what is the Roof made of?

Started by talon59, March 27, 2013, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talon59

Does anyone know what the roof of my wuperchief (88) is consructed of?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Fiberglass covered foam sandwich.
Please refer to pdf pages 15 - 18 of the 88 Superchief brochure: http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1988/pdfs/winnebago/88-SuperChief-bro.pdf

Dave
[move][/move]

talon59

Thanks once again Dave. Reason i was asking is because i have one minor leak along the edge of the roof near the trim piece which i need to repair. I had someone coat the roof acouple of years ago when i bought her due to several leaks and i couldn't tell by looking what was underneath. I'm gonna go get me a few rolls of the eternabond tape and do all the seams prior to recoating. I'm not sure what product was used last time but i'll roll the dice and apply an elastomeric coating. Any input is always greatly appreciated.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The older flat roof eyebrow Winny's had a layer of plywood, then sheet aluminum, then the elastomeric coating.  The newer rigs that use fiberglass shouldn't really need an elastomeric coating.  Like a boats hull, the fiberglass forms a more permenate surface.  Joint sealing (edges, AC unit, vent covers, etc.) or hole puncture/delamination repair are the general types of issues that have to be addressed.  Eternabond tape is usfull for the vast majority of that.

Dave
[move][/move]

Elandan2

Looking at the roof joint section in the brochure, it appears that the roof still uses aluminum skin.  It is constructed the same as our Elandan II with an aluminum extrusion running the length of the coach, and fastened to the sides and roof.  I believe that Winnebago replaced the aluminum with fiberglass on the roof structure in 1992. Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

talon59

That would account for the fact that any leaks, and the one i'm seeing now, are all along the edges where the seams are and none in the field. Ya just saved me 75 bucks for the can of elasomeric. Thanks a bunch! :)clap