Need a Wemac propane/LP "fuel" gauge

Started by PwrWgnWalt, January 22, 2013, 12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

Am in need of a Wemac propane/LP ("fuel") gauge - see pictures (click for larger image).

This is from the RV monitor panel of our 1978 Beach-Craft: it seems the innards are broken (and it is evident that the case was broken at some time in the past, and 'repaired').

It is 2" diameter at back - stamped "SEND" below the left post, "IGN" below the right, and between them is "5-77" (presumably date of mfg, May of 1977) - all in orange.  If you have a similar one in working order, please let me know.

{Technical note:  Using the 200 scale on my multimeter, the gauge itself reads 133.3 Ohms post-to-post.  The sending unit on the LP tank reads about 6 Ohms and the LP tank is pretty much empty. I am guessing this means the gauge itself is likely a 0-90 Ohm gauge <empty-full>.  Does anyone have more info?} 

Many thanks!
- Walt
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

You are going to have to find some sort of a replacement setup.  Start with a google search for "remote propane tank level gauge" where i found http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANCHESTER-PROPANE-TANK-REMOTE-FUEL-LEVEL-GAUGE-SIGHT-DIAL-ELECTRIC-SCREW-IN-/170859987495

Dave
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Thanks Dave;

Good to know this is available if needed.

I believe the sending unit on my tank is in good order - it is very similar to the one pictured in your posted link.  Was hoping to find an original Wemac gauge (I'm a retro guy).

Based on what I can find, it appears the following aftermarket gauges might work and look much like the OEM Wemac unit:
Stewart-Warner gauges #82341 or #82494
Datcon #100678  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datcon-Fuel-Level-Gauge-100678-NOS-12V-/290572710819

- Walt
Walt & Tina

PwrWgnWalt

Ordered a VDO Fuel Gauge today from Summit, p/n 301-303D  (0 Ohms = "empty";  90 Ohms = "full")
It was about the closest thing I could find to the look of the original gauge, without spending too much (this was $26). 

Hopefully this will be an easy fix to the old broken 2" Wemac LP (propane) gauge on the monitor panel.
It seems that most (if not all) of the propane "fuel level" sending units were/are built as "0 Ohms = empty / 90 Ohms = full".  Will get pictures and a provide a report when installed and ops checked. 

Walt & Tina

Oz

Let us know how it works out.  This could be valuable to others in the future!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

PwrWgnWalt

The VDO gauge seems to work perfectly!   

It has accommodation for a backlight (the bulb holder came in the box with it), so I bought a little type 194-base green LED to use (less than $1) and wired it so when I press the rocker switch on the panel to check the LP Gas level, the backlight comes on in a night-vision-friendly green color.

I highly recommend this VDO gauge if someone needs a replacement!

It can be seen on the right side of the monitor panel in this photo
Walt & Tina

Oz

Moving this to the LP board since it's a current, available option!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca