Repairing Broken Copper Water Lines

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 12, 2008, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatty74271

Sent: 5/15/2004 7:01 AM

I have a 73 d18 brave. Just under the stove in the storage compartment. I started to fill my fresh water tank for Metallica concert in Omaha anyway i left to go in the house and came out to find my bago flooded. well my question is can i braze it or should i cut it out and have a sleve put in. Thanks Chris

Sea Hag

Sent: 5/15/2004 8:58 AM

I would recomend cutting the bad protion out and replacing it . It'snot worth the water damage risk to try to solder the break . Sea Hag 

fatty74271

Sent: 5/15/2004 10:01 AM

I will do that thanks.

denisondc

Sent: 5/15/2004 2:43 PM

My Winny 7 or 8 places where the copper line has been cut, and lengths of automotive heater hose spliced in. The hose was just slid over the pipe ends, and screw clamps put at each end of each piece. They are all about a foot long. I conclude that the copper pipe had split from freezing over the years, and this was how the prior owners replaced the bad places. Now all of the low points have a hose section already, and voila; no more splits. I did tighten up the clamps once, and should check them again. It doesn't seem to flavor the water much either, but Im no connoisseur. When the RV is not in use I always leave the faucets slightly open - to save the rubber washers from flattening. I had to replace all of them when I got it, and havent had to do it again since. 

Oz

Sent: 5/16/2004 11:06 PM

I used the same method to restore water to the WinneBeast as the PO had totally severed the original system and only had water going to the kitchenette sink (which leaked so badly at the faucet cold water I couldn't use it anyway).  I used the tubing and clamps to restore water to the bathroom (and then I found that the connector under the sink at the hot water was spraying like an irrigation unit).  But, at least I could flush the toilet, take a shower, and draw water from the cold water in the bathroom!   

I took a Dremel tool and cut 2 shallow grooves around the copper pipe ends where the clamps would go so it would have better grip.  I haven't had any problems with the connections.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Taddpowl1

Sent: 5/18/2004 11:14 AM

RV stores have a plastic hose that worked well on mine, with clamps of course. I finally finished replacing my bad galvanized tanks with some type of plastic tank, I believe it will hold up. one reason my pump is an on demand system. I left the water sensor out, but it's not needed anyway, can open the back door and look. Some things can't be kept origional, and that's one.