Rusted windshield frame

Started by talon59, April 10, 2013, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talon59

Well today i finally had the passenger side windshield replaced and now a new problem.(imagine that) It seems the frame is rusted out in a couple spots and that may be what caused the brake in the shield originally.

Any one ever run into this issue before? I had to have the mechanic install the new piece as it was a mobile repair srvc. He said i'd be good for a while but once the "caulk" dried out i would probably lose this one also. :)rotflmao

Gary Eddy

Corrosion of the window frame can cause a pressure spot under the glass.  As the corrosion gets worse, it can cause enough pressure to crack the glass.

Windshield installers can refuse to replace your glass if they see a spot where the window frame is rusted through.  The window frame is a structural element of the body on cars.  I have had to repair rust spots before the installer would proceed. 
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

Oz

If you need to stop the existing rust without cutting int all out and weaking the frame, and the rust isn't really bad, Naval Jelly can be used.  Carefully grind down the areas and apply the jelly.  The jelly causes a chemical reaction which transforms the rust into an inert substance and halts the corrosive process.  It's available at most hardware stores and there are other similar products such as Rust Bullet.  Not sure if this is any help to your situation without seeing the extent of the damage.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

From what I have seen over on IRV2, rusted window frames are a common problem on later model Winnebagos.  Not sure what year the problems started though.

Dave
[move][/move]

talon59

Hey mark, thanks for your input as always. Unfortunately the damage is quite severe with one spot completely gone. Most unfortunate is the fact that it was a mobile repair srvc which came to my storage unit to do the swap out. I had no choice but to put the new glass in so as not to leave the unit exposed to the elements ( florida ) for an extended period of time. So now i have two choices. One being just drive with my fingers crossed, and the other is to take her to a glass shop, remove both sides, and rebuild the entire frame. Oh boy! i??

Oz

Oh man, that's a tough one, indeed.  A catch 22 for sure.  Is it a steel frame which can be repaired?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

That's great info about the Naval Jelly Mark, I'd like to store that info for future use, but I know I will forget it in the next 10 minutes.

talon59

Hey Mark,the frame is made of what i believe to be moulded steel. I'm certain that the proper fix would be to have the both sides removed and to refab the entire unit. Probably would needto be a collaberation between welder and glass man so as to ensure the proper specs for fit. I'm thinking well over 1k for the operation and being that this is just one of numerous projects needing attention i'll probably just roll the dice for now and drive her with a hockey mask on. :)rotflmao

cosmic

I'm thinking anyone with a small 110 volt mig welder should be able to patch that up. then you do the grinding and painting , a little bondo to smooth things out.  good to go.
since your crossing your fingers anyway just keep asking around and you will find someone to weld that up cheap. you can even go buy the sheet metal and cut it the way you need it untill you find the proper guy for the job.
Man i can weld a hole hell of alot in 2 hours. and if someone brings it to me i give them a better price.

should not cost you more the 150 for the welding. you do the rest.

on another note. fiberglass is strong stuff and last as well.  Steel is better!!!