I need some awning purchasing & installation tips

Started by poppinjohnnies, December 11, 2008, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 4/24/2005 8:59 AM

My '78 Chieftain has never had an awning installed and I REALLY want one.  Does anyone have some tips for me?  I don't know a thing about awnings.

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/25/2005 6:16 AM

A&E (A Dometic company)

Buy one when they go on sale at CampingWorld www.campingworld.com, if you're a "President's Club" member.
Otherwise, try CampersChoice www.camperschoice.com

In either case, CALL them... they will help you out with the configuration for your awning. Don't just order it online... you could get the wrong size arms, wrong awning rail, etc...

A lot of companies won't ship you an awning, so if you have a Campingworld nearby, usually the sale is "free installation" plus maybe even some more discounts.

I've had the 8500 series on a travel trailer and an old sportsman. They work good and are the cheapest.

The only other "cheap" awning is a "fiesta", pretty much the same thing.

Electric awnings are expensive, and the ones with the fold out arms (called "2 step") are a real pain if they break. The standard 8500 or Fiesta awnings can be removed from the motorhome in about 25 minutes if something happens (like trying to drive off with it still open!) and can be easily stored inside the MH (hallway). The 2 step and electric ones are near impossible to remove on the road!

there are two types of fabric.... vinyl and canvas-like fabric. The fabric will cost as much or more than the hardware in either case, the canvas being the most expensive.

an average 14ft awning should be around $550-700, but that depends on shipping, installation and other choices.

Buy an extra release rod. you never know when you're going to loose it! (it just happens!)

Recent developments (4/22/05) have brought on the aquisition of Campers Choice by Camping World.  So if you go to the link, you'll end up at Camping World anyway!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 4/26/2005 8:58 AM

What is the maximum length I can go with one for my Chief?  It is a 26' camper, but I'm not sure if you have to mount these things in a cerrtain braced area, etc.  i would like to cover the door, so I won't get wet while I'm going outside to have a cup of coffee.  Ooooh... I'm visualizing a relaxing camping trip already.....

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/27/2005 8:23 AM

the genny door will limit you on awning size, and the crank out or tip out windows can get in the way.

Most of the ones thqat I have seen come down the corner of the passengers side window, in front of the mirror, and stop before the genny door.

It might not be the best idea to cover the genny door with an awning anyway, since you could technically develop a genny exhaust leak and have the carbon monoxide build up under your awning. I don't think that would be a safe bet. Newer Motorhomes have the genny on the drivers side, I'm not sure on your 78 chieftain... are those the gas bottles or the genny door on the left side picture?

Figure 21-22 feet, if the genny door is there, but there's no reason except for price to run an awning down the whole side, with no genny door. You  will have to make it a little shorter because of the way the back of the rig tips out up at the top, but with no genny door, you can mount it anywhere except ove the heater exhaust outlet, and I'm not a fan of having the arms in the middle of windows!

The awning can be configured to clear the door properly, however, you will want an awning saver wheel on the door or it will destroy the awning fabric.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 4/27/2005 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Tom.  The gas bottles and the generator are both on the left side, so the fumes shouldn't be an issue with this one.  I don't have the flip out windows, either.  I just didn't know if there was a certain particular place that you're supposed to screw the mountings to.  I'll probably end up doing what daved27c said and just have the camper place do it.   Chances are that if I did it the thing would never work.  I did happen to buy a set of aluminum valve covers on ebay last night.  Hopefully that will stop the oil leaks.  The new dual exhaust goes on tomorrow.  I'm still looking for a LH manifold, though.  It's getting there. 

Oz

Sent: 4/27/2005 12:01 PM

Actually, the installation is very easy with 2 people and the braces mount along the rub rail line that runs just above the wheel wells.  - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/27/2005 12:30 PM

Sob is right...
If you can put on valve covers, you and a helper can do the awning.

But for free, I'll let CW put mine on.

Awnings DO NOT ship well, it would be best to pick it up yourself. Most companies will not ship a complete awning with rails and all the installation hardware because they've had so much trouble with shippers.

If you can wait long enough, they'll go on sale again before summer's here with free installation. probably in May aor June at the latest.

Tom

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/31/2005 1:41 PM

Hey, I put my used awning up this weekend.... Not hard at all, with a helper (reluctant father-in-law)

the bottom rail clamps attach to the side of the winnie at the trim molding. the rail at top goes right over the existing side molding (in my case drip molding)

The top brackets bolt just under the edge of the drip molding.

As far as mounting location and length, you should be able to mount an awning anywhere, as long as all four brackets ar securely fastened to the walls.

Mine ended up being a donor awning from a '96 Minnie, so it was seriously cheap! Never been used, either!

Tom 

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 5/31/2005 4:58 PM

You lucky dog, you!  I would really like to find a good used awning for mine.  If you come across another one, please let me know.   

Well, I just called Colaw RV in Joplin, MO.  They have a good special on awnings right now.  I just bought a brand new 20' Carefree simplicity for $559.00.  Their # is 877-548-2125.  Maybe I can install it before our next outing!

Oz

Sent: 5/31/2005 8:56 PM

That's the same awining I have.  Real easy to use and a cinch to re-tension too!  Whenever you need to, it's a one person job; simply...
Set-up the awining as if you were camping... be sure to tighten both of the side brace locking knobs.

1.  Put a pair of vise grips firmly on the end cap at the front of the vehicle.
2.  Remove the screw or bolt holing the end cap to the arm rail.
3.  Press down on the little silver locking lever in the end cap to release the slide arm and wiggle it out just a bit.
4.  Turn the open/close lever to the close or roll-up position
5.  Carefully lift the end cap off.
6.  Turn one full turn toward you.
7.  Place end cap back on slide arm. lock in position.
8.  Flip the open/close lever to open.
9.  replace the screw. (Repeat if you want more tension but one turn should be good).

Done!  - Sob

mightybooboo

Sent: 5/31/2005 10:45 PM

Sounds like The Bob Newhart sketch were he's explaining over the phone how to  dismantle a bomb!

BooBoo

Cooneytoones

Sent: 6/1/2005 12:31 AM

Poppin'......the awning can be pretty much from front to back and like someone said just don't block an access door with the frame rail....You have to measure, your distance of course, (from where the top clamp will hold the top corners or your support rail, then measure from your floor line to the top middle line of your top clamps....this will give you the configuration for how long your support arms have to be. Camping World....has the exact way to measure....just go to awning section at the site campingworld.com
Timmy

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 6/1/2005 9:25 AM

Thanks for the tips, y'all!  I'm heading over to Joplin with my trailer later this week to pick up the awning.  I'm sure that I'll have some questions when I get knee-deep into it. 

-Parrothead Bry 
A.K.A. "poppinjohnnies"

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 6/12/2005 10:43 AM

I picked up and installed it myself yesterday afternoon.  Me Happeee!!!

Oz

Sent: 6/13/2005 8:21 AM

Wasn't very hard, was it? - Sob

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 6/13/2005 9:44 AM

Sob, you were right.  It was a piece of cake.  A buddy of mine came over and helped me guide the awning down the rail.  I did the rest alone.  I can't swing the door all the way open now, but this was the only way that I could seem to place the support without blocking the rearview mirror.  I don't think it will be a big deal.  I can't wait to use it the next time we go camping!

moonlitcoyote

I would REALLY like to put an awning on the Homebago, and I believe that Eddie and I can do it ourselves with no problem. BUT I have been looking on e-bay and craigslist and the buying of it is too confusing for me. I checked with Camping world but they want $1200. So my options at this point is to hopefully find an RV junk yard somewhere between here and Maine when we head back so I can see what I am getting and know that all the parts are there OR to order one off line somewhere or craigslist. In order to get one from craigslist or e-bay I really need someone to explain to me what exactly I am looking for, I know I dont want just the fabric, but when I see something that says, "no hardware" or "has hardware" what does that mean? I will need everything, arms,roller and fabric.

Oz

I would suggest calling Sands RV in Ohio.  Quite a few of us have been there, go there, and have dealt with them for some time.  They are extremely reputable and they sell used awnings... if I remember correctly... $20 per foot.  That's not really bad at all.  This is one option, and a very safe one, you'll get at least half-a-dozen "amens" on that from our long time members here. 

http://www.sandsrv.com/

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Mark, I actually could take that route home to stop there along the way. If it's not too mountainous that is.

And of course, they are not open today :)

Froggy1936

I bought mine (used) at Sands a couple yrs ago $600.00 And installed it myself (without a helper) Works great love it !! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.