Battery "hold downs" are they necessary?

Started by moonlitcoyote, April 26, 2013, 01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

So while I was in my battery compartment today, which is just a tray, I got to thinking about how to add another battery to the mix. right now I have my chassis battery which sits in a little tray that is raised up a little and then 2 house batteries with some all thread between then that holds the metal strap that holds them in place. There is room for 1 more battery behind the 2 house batteries and next to the chassis battery but there is no way to add a hold down strap that I can see. OR I was thinking if I took out the all thread, I could turn the batteries around and possibly fit 2 more batteries in there.

So the question, how important is it to have a hold down strap on the batteries?

oh and just a quick question, my chassis battery has a sticker that says 6/11 I take it that is when it was bought, so how often do they need to be changed?

Stripe

Hold down straps IMHO are very important, they keep the batteries from jostling around which could possibly cause shorts if the wires contact something, and prevent the batteries from getting cracked and leaking. There are creative ways to create hold down straps, especially if one has say, some extra leather belts or nylon straps some washers, bolts a drill and a little elbow grease and a bit of an imagination.

The sticker with the date, does the sticker have little dots that were removed? Or is the date a stamp?  If stamp, then I would venture it's the manufacturing date.

As far as how often to change the battery, there are a LOT of opinions on that and it really depends on your point of view. My view is if it hasn't been drained too low too often and it still holds a charge, then leave it alone..  :)
Hope that helps
CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

moonlitcoyote

It is just a round sticker that says 6/11 and I dont see any other date anywhere. But that seems to have been common, the date is not punched on my house batteries either.

ClydesdaleKevin

You can make your own "hold downs" with ratchet straps.  Lots of pictures in our albums.  Held 3 gel batteries in our old Itasca with a tray only meant for 2.  Our new rig has 6 batteries, held in with a ratcheting strap.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Kevin thats a good idea, I turned the batteries around today to see how many I can fit and I got in the chassis battery plus the 3 house batteries with room left for at least one more. The only problem is getting the tray back in far enough, I think the batteries hit the wires and such at the back of the compartment

Oz

I made hold down straps for mine as well.  And since I'm quite inept with mechanical stuff... you know it must be easy to do.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca