Bedroom project - Emergency Escape Window

Started by defkaf, May 06, 2013, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defkaf

An unplanned bedroom remodel has just moved to the top of my priority list. We had water leakage into the rear of our '89 Elandan over the winter, found one corner cabinet had been wet and the particle board was soggy. We had the roof sealed last month, and finally got the time to look at the wet cabinet yesterday. It was pretty bad so I started pulling it out. Turns out the farther I went the worse it got. The back wall was wet and and moldy on almost that whole side.
I pulled everything from the bedroom last night - bed, cabinets, everything, and started pulling the wet plywood off the back wall. The wall construction is Dow blue extruded polystyrene with fibreglass bonded to the outside and plywood bonded to the inside. The insulation itself will not support mold growth, from what I have read, so once I remove all the plywood and clean off the insulation I should be OK.
My question about the window is - since the existing plywood is under the window frame, is it an easy task to remove the window? If I take out the screws around the inside aluminum frame will the interior part of the frame come off? Any hints on either the window specifically or the entire project in general are welcome.

I can get 1/8 inch Luan plywood locally, so I intend to glue that to the foam board once I have it cleaned up. I'm thinking vinyl wallpaper over the new wood, and over the existing side walls to match. I will also replace the headliner since it has come loose in some areas. Then I will be building my own cabinets, hopefully something that will suit us better than the old design.
Thanks in advance,
Don

Since we intended to use it next weekend I need to move quickly. At least as far as removing the bad wood. The entire project will obviously run much longer than that.

defkaf

Well, I was able to answer my own question about the escape window. If anyone needs to know, after removing the screws around the perimeter of the window the interior frame comes right off. That will make replacing the pywood much easier.
Only half of the rear wall had to be stripped of old plywood. There is a seam right down the middle where the sheets meet. From the corner the plywood had been wet and damaged only about a quarter of the way across the wall. The rest of the wood was still well bonded to the foam and wood framimg underneath, so I stopped removing it at the mid wall seam.
I next pulled down the headliner, still lots of scraping and sanding, and maybe some chemicals, to remove all of the old ashesive. Again - any suggestions are welcome. I was disappointed to find an area of ceiling plywood that was sagging some, and had some water damage. Not sure how I'm going to handle that part yet, I'd hate to start messing with the roof - not sure where it would stop!
Don

Stripe

Groovy, so not TOO much dame then?

Have a look at oldrocknrollers' ceiling blog, he may have ideas/info to share with you.

And by all means, if you can, show us some pics! :)

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28