Quick fix, temporary roof repair?

Started by teryn, May 22, 2013, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teryn

ugh just found that my 1966 camper- needs to have a partial roof redone- I am feeling a little discouraged, and overwhelmed. Please share insight, tips, and idea's to make this process easier!  ;) Most of the roof looks fine, just a few bad spots where I can see cracks, and pushing on it, makes me worry it will cave in!

We will be driving from MN to AK very soon! Would I be better off to "band aid" this somehow until we got to our destination? if so, what would you all suggest? I need to make this repair, fast, and cheap-

Also, toward the back of my camper, the wall feels very soft, and has apparent water damage. Any idea's on how to fix this?
thank you all in advance!

OldEdBrady

"Band aid" fix.  This will NOT be permanent.  Dyco 890.  You brush it on (hopefully you at least cleaned the spots first).  Apply with temp at 40 or above.  it will dry in about 30-45 minutes.  It will cure in about 24 hours.  If you had no obvious bad spots in the roof, I'd say cover the entire thing and forget it (I did).  But, it spots are bad (and you indicate they are) cover ALL bad areas and run the stuff over about 2 feet around them.  Put on a second coat after 24 hours.  That'll hold until you can do a total fix for it.  I'm sure others will have ideas, too, but this is really a "quick fix."  Oh; and you need only a paint brush to apply it, and the paint brush can be cleaned with just plain water (if you do it in less than that half hour). 

ClydesdaleKevin

When you get to the point of doing a more permanent partial roof repair, make sure you go wall to wall.  Trying to splice in roof members, no matter how well you engineer it and do it, will result in failure and sag.  It has to be from passenger to driver wall, period.  I made that mistake.  D:oH!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.