What is this thing in the water line?

Started by HandyDan, November 09, 2013, 11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

I was down on the floor opening the drains for the water line so I could winterize the beast when I looked way inside the kitchen cabinet and found this plastic tube in the water line.  What is it for and/or what does it do? 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks like it might be a homemade filter, or a homemade pressure accumulator?  We don't have one in ours, so I don't think its factory.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Looks like a pressure setup . See if there is a tire valve type fitting on the top end for adding air pressure  Or its just a surge protector ? Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

Where it is situated, I can't get to or see the top of it.  However, with a mirror on a stick I could see there is something grey in the middle of the top.  I can't say for sure if it is a valve of any type, but there is something there.  I think you are on the right track with a surge protector since there is no pipe coming out of the top.  I wonder if I need to address this in winterization?  I never have in the past and it doesn't seem to be cracked or damaged in any way. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

TheSportsmanDodger

disconnect it from your system and look inside with a flash light, looks like a home made filter like someone said earlier

TheSportsmanDodger

in regards to this it is a filter, its full of carbon if it is grey.

Froggy1936

Hm? Filter  with only 1 hose in and none out I dont think so ! :laugh:   As far as winterizing if you drain your syestem i see no need as its mounted in a self draining position  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

sasktrini

I thought it was maybe a filler neck with the ABS holding a filter…
Corey aka sasktrini

Mr. T

I think it is a home made water hammer arrestor.  :)clap

Don T.

Stripe

It is factory installed.  I have the same thing in the 'Goose'.. 

Here are some pics from a different angle.

another,

Lastly..

Am tempted to take it apart now..  ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Audog

Could be dangerious, maybe it's full of treasure.

Hey thats mine, I've been lookin for that. How did that get there?

Or ,never seen it before, depending on what's inside.

Enjoy Life, it's ending sooner than you think.

ClydesdaleKevin

Funny this post should come back up active today...lol!  I repaired my secondary freshwater tank (plastic welded for the first time and it came out great!), and when I opened my water/power compartment to drain the tank after checking it for leaks (there were none...YAY!!!) I noticed I had one of those same gizmos in the back corner of the compartment.

I am pretty sure someone else hit the nail on the head, a water hammer arrestor, or pretty much a surge protector for water pressure spikes.  Don't remove it!  I'm pretty sure that is exactly what it is, so you'll want to leave it in place if it isn't leaking.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

A hyper-fast super-soaker refill spout.  Laugh if you will but, just wait until you get into a water battle and don't have one....
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca