Can I add a line to the main LP tank to run a grill?

Started by MSN Member, February 14, 2009, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocoholic

Sent: 4/24/2003

Was wondering about if can add a extra LP Gas line to the main tank to run a gas grill ? anyone ever do this? 

chip

Sent: 4/24/2003

Yes, Marshall Extend-a-Hose makes a simple adapter you can buy through most RV centers.

jbrt1989

Sent: 4/25/2003

Definitely, and it comes in very handy for more than gas grills.  You can hook a lantern, outdoor L/P heater in the fall, etc. etc.   Saves space carrying extra L/P tanks, lantern fluid, and safer too in the end.  Especially when the time in camp isn't long enough to worry about running out in the one tank.

If it's a long stay though, kinda bothersome to unhook, pull up everything, pull in the awning, drive to get a refill, rehook up, etc etc. should you run out of L/P.

Jeff

UluzYarx

Sent: 2/19/2004

If your main tank gives you gas to your cooker, and you know what you are doing, you can T into the cooker feed.
If you don't know what you are doing, get a man who knows what his doing to do it for you.

If you take liquid LPG to your engine, it can be done, I think that it is illegal.
I've done it with aircraft (manufs certificate) so I can tell you how to do it if you want to know ~ your risk

Oz

I was at an RV service/parts place and noticed 3 late '80s, early '90s Allegros on the site which had a compartment, near the coach entrance door.  Inside this door was a slide-out gas grill!  Of course, this grill had a long hose connected to the LP gas tanks.  I also found that, although this was a really cool set-up, you had to really careful with it.  If you got a bunch of grease burgers flaming, it would scorch the side of the rig, as I noticed on one of them.  Which leads me to think that it could be very easy to set the rig on fire as well.

I think I would go the route like you guys... add a line and hook-up a standard, free-standing grill away from the RV!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

Funny you should ask. I tee,ed into propane supply for refrigerator (plug end of line when not in use) added a valve and a shelf Viola   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

There is already one added to Excalibur, in the Fridge vent compartment...but the hose is only 3 feet long.  Fortunately it has its own shutoff valve.  We'll never use it because it locates the grill way too close to the rig.  I don't like using a grill anywhere in direct proximity to our rig, or even under the awning.  We set up a remote grill, both propane and charcoal, on a Coleman folding camp kitchen, just outside the awning perimeter.  The propane grill uses the little green propane bottles, which is just fine by us.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

GulfCoastFighter0

I'm getting mixed messages about the "Extend a stay Kit".  I understand that this kit will allow me to hook up a portable LP tank if my permanent mount tank gets low during an extended stay.  Is this not correct?  Some folks are telling me it's for hooking small appliances up to my permanent mount tank instead.  Does it work both ways?
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

DaveVA78Chieftain

Marshal makes 3 basic types of adaptor Kits.
The Extend-A-Stay kit - Safely hook up to outside propane cylinders. Lets propane gas into your system from an outside cylinder or lets gas out of your system for high pressure appliances like grills and camp stoves. Includes a brass tee fitting, and a 5 foot flexible pigtail for hooking up outside propane cylinders. Deluxe kit also includes a 12 foot high pressure appliance hose.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/Extend-A-Stay-Propane-Kits.html

The Extend-A-Flow kit - Connects small, portable appliances normally fueled by disposable LP gas cylinders to the existing LP gas fuel supply without interrupting the supply of regulated fuel to the system. No need to buy an extra LP gas cylinder or several disposable cylinders! Kit includes a listed brass tee fitting and a 12' flexible hose.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/Extend-A-Flow--153;-Propane-Kit.html

And the Extend-A-Flow Plus kit - For use with newer Type 1 ACME pigtail connections. Connects small, portable appliances normally fueled by disposable LP gas cylinders to the existing LP gas fuel supply without interrupting the supply of regulated fuel to the system. No need to buy an extra LP gas cylinder or several disposable cylinders. Kit includes a listed brass tee fitting and a 12' flexible hose.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/Extend-A-Flow-Plus--153;-Propane-Kit.html

If memory serves me correctly, you can also buy adaptors to adapt their kits to perform other operations.  More information is here:
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/Extend-A-Stay-Propane-Kits.html

Here is a link to the Manufacture of these products.  Lots of propane information on this site
http://www.marshallbrass.com/index.html
[move][/move]

GulfCoastFighter0

Thanks for the info and confirmation.  Maybe the different kits were confusing to the salespeople. 
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

ClydesdaleKevin

If your propane compartment has a FLEXIBLE hose that has the regulator in line, you can screw it directly into a Blue Rhino type home grill tank.  We do it all the time when the onboard horizontally installed tank gets empty.  We try to keep it filled, but it often gets empty in a year's time from contant use in our fulltime lifestyle.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

GulfCoastFighter0

That would be too easy.  No such luck though on mine.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

pvoth1111

Just installed one of these....its awesome... go with the deluxe so you can hook up a grill or other item to your coach....

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/sturgi-stay-propane-kits.htm
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

LJ-TJ

Lefty

I have an adapter attached to our Georgie boy's main tank, it was there when we bought the rig so I don't know the brand. It has a 6' attachable hose that I keep stored in a compartment.
I've use it for a grill, as well as a 40lb tank that almost doubles my propane capacity for extended trips.

!-!   I wouldn't ever use a grill under an awning. Heat rises and even if the flames don't catch it on fire it could easily damage the awning from just the heat.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

SoakedKarma

Be advised Extend a Flow and Extend a Stay kits are installed on the High Pressure side of regulator..  Appliances connected need to be designed to work with high pressure propane..

Photo is of Marshall Trailer Adapter Tee with an added elbow and shutoff valve for connecting external propane tank.. DIY extend a flow plus extend a stay..