Plumbing overhaul questions

Started by PwrWgnWalt, July 01, 2013, 01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

Well, the ol' gal's veins are shot, full of splits and previous repairs... so we figure it's time for a complete re-plumbing.

Good news:  Looks like a fairly new freshwater tank, and it's an on-demand system.  ;)
Bad news:  the mass/mess of splices, re-routes, dead-ends and visible splits in the copper lines have me worried.  :(

After pouring over the Plumbing forum, have determined that PEX tubing is in order to completely re-do all of the plumbing.  Will use the opportunity to add Water Heater bypass kit (for winterizing), install a Winterizing kit, and also to replace the faucets and bathroom sink.

My questions:
1.  What kind of fittings are best to use with PEX tubing?  (and easy to install/use, with the highest probability that they will not fail) 

2.  What other things/devices would you do/install while doing this?

Thanks for your input - this site has truly been a great help!
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Thanks Dave;

So, the SharkBite push-on fittings?   See they have push-on, or barb & clamp styles.  Assume you are recommending the push-on?

Read an older post stating that the colored PEX is not as good as the white - is this true?  Am thinking 100' should just about do it.

Am definitely considering an accumulator tank - have read that one from HD or Lowes for regular home use may be better. Any thoughts on what size is optimal for a MH?  Is the little ShurFlo plastic one big enough and the right way to go, or?

Thanks for the insight!
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well everyone has a preference.  I am saying, to prevent a large investment in tooling to work with PEX,  use PEX with the sharkbite fittings.

As far as white vs colored, I have no clue.  Winnebago used black PEX on my rig and it has lasted over 30 years with no problems that were not user induced.  They did however use flare type fittings in that era.  That is the only point of reference I personally have.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Hey Walt since you are doing a complete job , one of my better ideas , Wich saves water space and hot water, Was to add a loop with a valve (located on side of basin stand ) To run the hot water in the bathroom from just before the faucet back to the main storage tank . This way you can bring hot water to the faucet without loosing any water or adding to waste tank . Viola instant hot water , No waste  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

PwrWgnWalt

Thanks Dave, appreciate your comments.

Frank, that's a great idea!  On my MH, the hot water tank is below the bathroom faucet. However, the kitchen sink is all the way back, across, and up the other side from the hot water tank, so this sounds like a definite possibility. 
Walt & Tina

EarlJr

I did this upgrade last summer. I used the barbed connectors which require a compression ring. I rented the ring compressor from a local shop, lots cheaper than buying one. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use the push on type. Getting the tool into some of the places I needed a connector was a pain in the behind.

I also ran blue for my cold lines and red for the hot. The colored line was the same price as clear/white and now there's no more guessing which line is which.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteI also ran blue for my cold lines and red for the hot. The colored line was the same price as clear/white and now there's no more guessing which line is which.

Now thats defiently worth remembering!
[move][/move]

joanfenn

Yes, that is a great idea.  Thanks

PwrWgnWalt

Great idea, Earl!   

Matter of fact, that's what I bought - Blue (cold) and Red (hot) 1/2" PEX from Home Depot yesterday...
and SharkeBite push-on fittings (and the little removal tool). 
Walt & Tina

LJ-TJ

Good topic guys. I'm in a similar boat and getting ready to do mine. Got any pictures. I was thinking of the push on type fittings myself.  i??