Low coach 110VAC electric power

Started by moonlitcoyote, July 18, 2013, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

I noticed a couple weeks ago that when I plugged in my tiny little box fan it didnt seem to be running at full speed, but I figured it was because I had it along with other things plugged into my external generator. Well it got hotter here the last week so I plugged that fan back in and noticed that it still isnt running at full speed except now I am plugged into shore power.

SO, following some directions I tested the outside outlet and an inside outlet and this is what I got.. Outside outlet on pole 120.3v Inside outlet 105-109v (last night it was 105, this morning it was 110)

So what is my next step to find the reason I dont have as much power as I should?

M & J

Ok. So it's in the coach from what we talked about last night.
You have a genny so you also have a transfer switch. Do you know where it is? If not, follow the shore power cord where it enters the coach. There will be a silver (typically) box where the shore power cord enters, wiring that runs to the genny and wiring that runs to your power distribution box (breakers or fuses).
Easiest next step is if you can measure the voltage where it enters the breaker (distribution panel). See how it compares to the voltage measured at the pole. I will guess it will read the same as your outlet.
If you can find the transfer switch box, you can open the top however there are life-threatening voltages inside MJ. There is a large contactor with open connections that is very hazardous. My guess is the contacts on the switch are not fully closed, worn or corroded.
Other than that, loose or corroded connections in the transfer switch or breaker panel.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do you recall if when you start the generator if the system automatically transferred to the generator?
If so, then you have a transfer switch however,  how that was implemented would depend on the type of AC/DC Control center you have.
A Progressive dynamics - transfer inside control center
Magnetek - separate transfer switch either behind the control center or at the point of entry for the shore power cord.

If not auto transfer, then you manually move a stub cable between the generator recepticle and shore cable.

manual transfer style: You have a loose connection either in the shore cable, stub cable (and it's junction box), or at the Main 30 amp CB inside the Control Center

Auto transfer style: You have a loose connection either in the shore cable, transfer switch relay, or at the Main 30 amp CB inside the Control Center

!-!  WARNING: Remember, when plugged in you are working with 110VAC power.

The "loose" connection is causing a voltage drop.

If you do have a auto transfer system with a Progressive Dynamics Control Center, then let me know as that is harder to work with.

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Eddie says we have to plug the shore power into the silver outlet that is in the cord storage area to use the genny.

My control center is a MagneTek Power PLus Series 6300A Model 6345

Please dont forget that instructional pictures are always welcome, I dont understand all the technical things that you speak of. Thank you

DaveVA78Chieftain

:)rotflmao    Working on it!   W%
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

This diagram is very close to your setup.  You either have
1) A bad shore power cable plug or socket (see drawing of shore power cable connector wiring).  Lowes sells replacements for both ends of the cable.  Use the NEMA numbers on the drawing to obtain the correct part.
2) The shore power cable connection inside the Magentek Power panel is loose or connected.
    Referring to Magnetek Power panel picture below:
    A) Black HOT connects to the 30 amp breaker (only 30 amp in unit)
    B) White NEUTRAL connects to the BUSS bar on left wall of unit
    C) Green GROUND wire connects to  the BUSS bar on top wall of unit
Either a loose or corroded the black and/or White wire could cause your problem
3) If the AC was running when you made the measurement, then try the measurement again with AC on the AC off.  The more current required the more the voltage can drop.

[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

I love the pics, thank you.

Things changed a bit, when I tested the outlet on the pole this morning, I unplugged the winny and stuck it into a different outlet. When I did that the shore power cord WAS NOT hot. When we got home today after searching for the starter the cord was extremely HOT. I took it apart and the wires were melting together. I cut away 6 inches of wire to get back to good solid unmelted wire and re-wired the plug. ... SO why did it get hot after I changed outlets it was plugged into/ could it have been caused by the AC being on?

After re-wiring the plug, I re-checked the volts at the outlet outside and it was 116, went inside and tested my outlet and it was 114. Now after the AC being on for a bit I just checked it again and inside outlet is 98.5... Shut AC off it goes back up to 113.2

moonlitcoyote

Now my fridge wont work on AC power, I have it running on LP for now but I'm sure its malfunction has something to do with whatever is going on.