Exterior 'running lights' lens replacement.

Started by ArPauly, July 19, 2013, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArPauly

I picked up our 77' Winnebago from storage for the first time this year and during the 7 mile drive to my home I lost 9 of the lens covers (both amber and red).  I had already decided to replace them all for cosmetic reasons, but now I have a more compelling motivation for replacement.  All of the bulbs light up so I prefer to just replace the lens portion.  A quick internet check at Ebay and a couple of manufacturers surprised me...will I have to spend $5 for each lens, or is there a more reasonable price available somewhere else?  I need 7 red and 8 amber that are the 'snap on' style and measure approx. 2" x 4".  Anyone have any input on this?  Thanks.

tiinytina

sometimes you can buy the covers "in bulk" just have to keep watching ebay etc.  Think I found them multiples when I search ebay stores I found single ones on...think I bought 5 at a time can't remember

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Lefty

You can buy most clearance lights and lenses at Napa under their HD Truck lighting line (Gro) for a lot less than the same lights under their standard line (LIT)...

Here is a very common 2 bulb amber clearance light used:
Part Number:  GRO 467933   $2.99ea  (lens, bulbs, base, gasket)
Lamp Dimensions : 4" x 2" x 1 1/8"
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Lamp-Clearance-Marker-Square-Corner-Yellow/_/R-GRO467933_0411320869

Here is same design, in red:
Part Number:  GRO 467923   $2.99ea  (lens, bulbs, base, gasket)
Lamp Dimensions : 4" x 2" x 1 1/8"
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Lamp-Clearance-Marker-Square-Corner-Red/_/R-GRO467923_0411320866

Round Clearance Lights:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx/_/Ntt-clearance%20lights/Ntk-Keyword/Nty-1/N-43852%204283883159%204283768672%204289109235/Ne-604242

If this style is not what you are looking for, ask to look in their Grote Lighting Catalog.. There's literally dozens of different styles, designs, shapes, and sizes of clearance light.

A Special Note:
Any lamp that is mounted to a non-metallic part (IE: Fiberglass) will require a two wire lamp in order to operate. One for power, one for ground. Lamps mounted to metal are usually grounded by their base, and are only 1 wire lamps. Both of the lamps I listed above are the 1-wire style
On the left side of the napaonline catalog there is an option to select whether the lights have 1 wire or two. Just select the 2 if you need two-wire lights. Two wire lamps are also used if lights are wired in series...as opposed to being wired parallel.

Also, some states require side marker lamps have a reflective area on them... this style of clearance lamp is also available.

If your light bases were rotten enough that the lenses fell off, installing new lenses won't cure the problem. The bases have small tabs that lock the lenses on, and as they age they get brittle, break, and then the lenses fall off. If you can pull a lens off without using a small flat-blade screwdriver to pry it off with, the lens base locking tabs are too lose to hold a new lens on and seal it weather-tight.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

Very nice, Lefty!  That covers it extremely well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca