1978 440/727 Transmission Leak. Options to fix.

Started by vacuumbed, September 24, 2012, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vacuumbed

Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm back. :)

My coach is a 1978 Pace Arrow Chrysler M600 chassis. Last weekend I was on a trip from Reno to Salt Lake City and when I made a stop, I saw transmission fluid just dripping from the bell housing. This trans works fine otherwise, but it is 34 years old.

That said, I have a few different options to repair this. I can just replace the front seal, reseal the whole trans, or rebuild the whole trans and perhaps install a lockup converter if it does not all ready have one.

I thought about upgrading to a overdrive, but this rv only goes 1,200 miles per year so I don't think it's worth it.

jkilbert

I don't think that our Loadflight 727's are set up to run with a lock up converter.  Anyway, how much of a drip do you have and how much fluid are you losing? If its a significant amount, like a pint or so every time you stop then I'd suggest you replace the front seal. Since you have to pull the tranny to replace the seal, you might consider the rebuild since its out. If you're motivated and mechanically inclined enough, rebuild kits with all seals, clutches and steels can be had for around $200. If you aren't losing a lot of fluid and it's just a small drip I'd suggest a fluid change and adding some Lucas transmission additive. This works very well for reconditioning seals and stopping small leaks.
As far as the overdrive goes, search the site. There have been many threads on this subject.   

John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

vacuumbed

Thanks for the info. It's a pretty significant leak, so I'm going to go ahead and rebuild this winter. Is there such thing as a Loadflight 727 vs. Torqueflight 727?

vacuumbed

I'm looking to pull this transmission and overhaul it. While I'm at it I may just do new frictions and steels. What would be a good option for a torque converter? Or should I leave the OEM?

The trans has 60K original miles I believe with no issues other than a front pump leak.

bluebird

If the converter hasn't had any junk ran through it by trans failure, I'd use it. I've turned them snout down on a metal pan and let them drain for a day. Pour a quart of gas in it and shake the crap out of it, turn it snout down and let it set again. Make sure you use a clean pan so you can see if any grit or metal particles wash out, If so you need to replace it. I'd also replace the friction clutch's and steels. I've pulled trannys apart the have had deteriorating frictions, quite a few times. Also check the front and rear bushings, they cause leaky seals it they are too worn.

vacuumbed

Argh... I haven't had time to pull this trans and rebuild it. I'm hoping I can squeeze another 1,200 mile trip to Nevada out of it this year before I tear it down.

maxximuss

You wont know if you need a new converter till you pull it. Part of the leak may be a worn hub on the converter where the seal rides. It may be too worn from groves in it to just clean up with some emery cloth etc. If the oil looks clean now and its not a bad leak I would just drive it and check it regularly untill you pull the trans later in the year. Only thing with a leak to worry about is a possible chance of a engine compartment fire from transmission fluid. But if is not hitting the exhaust and maybe a periodic wipe down before traveling you'll probably be ok. 

vacuumbed

Thanks for the info. I'm going to rebuild this trans after I get back from this trip.

I noticed it is also leaking from the pan, and I remember the pan has seen better days from when I changed the fliud a few years ago. So for the meantime, I bought a cheap chrome pan for $26. I hate these chrome pans, but at least it's new. I might have to sand and roughen the sealing surface to get it to seal.

Could someone please remind me the fluid type and capacity for a pan drop and filter change?