Changing Bulbs in the Medicine Cabinet?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 07, 2008, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggrock1

Sent: 3/27/2005 2:01 PM

How do you get the medicine cabinet apart to change the light bulbs?  ???

Daved27c

Sent: 3/27/2005 8:14 PM

Howie;

Grab the plastic face in the center and rotate it away from you, towards the top. While it appears to be "C" shaped, it is actually "L" shaped.

The bulbs are 12 Volt!!! After replacing the bulbs with 120 volt bulbs and having it not work, I removed the medicine cabinet. I then replaced the switch. after reinstalling the cabinet, it still didn't work. I then replaced the socket and reinstalled the cabinet. Finally someone here reminded me that the 12 volt bulbs looked the same as the 120 volt bulbs. It now works great. Good luck.

Dave

biggrock1

Sent: 3/28/2005 7:22 AM

Thanx! I will try tonight. I know the bulbs are 12 V. They cost $5.00 + each here in Canada. I bought 2 and they cost me almost $11.00.

denisondc

Sent: 3/28/2005 3:09 PM

Those bulbs are about $4 here, and you have to find an RV store to buy them. They seemed to last one vacation each.

I took the old burnt out 12v bulb that looked like a 10W 115volt bulb, and crushed away the glass and the glue in the base. I then soldered in a 12 volt tail-lamp bulb of about 18 watts into the base.

I like to buy my automotive bulbs by the carton, 10 for about $8. Later I did it again, using a burnt out 115volt bulb, to make one for the hood above the stove. You do have to be slightly careful when screwing it into the socket. 

Oz

Sent: 3/28/2005 3:48 PM

Just when you thought you've heard it all..... 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

smp5937

Sent: 4/13/2005 11:24 AM

denison, you have to be the most ingenious person I have ever heard of!!! LOL!!! What cool ideas I read about in your posts!!! I think I will bring my Winnie (when I finally get it) and have you just estimate all the things I should do to it!! Then I will have you tell me HOW to do all those neat things:-)

denisondc

Sent: 4/13/2005 2:23 PM

I liker think I am ingenious & thrifty, instead of "cheap" like some members of my family have described me as.

Im a slow thinker though. I woke up this morning with a thought about the mysterious ignition problem that Mark Sobyak has with his 440 engine, and will have to contact him sometime about it. Someday when the weather is rainy. On nice sunny mild days like this one, I have maintenance to do on the cars and motorhome.

P.S. My wife thinks my greatest ingenuity is in avoiding working on house repairs, in favor of the motor vehicles.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 4/13/2005 3:06 PM

LOL Dave - Your wife must have been talking to my wife!

Dave
[move][/move]

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/17/2005 10:00 PM

Wal-Mart stocks these lights in the little tiny RV department.... $1.48 for 1 50W bulb, quite a bit brighter than using an 18Watt automotive bulb, but I agree with denison's repair approach... I actually am using 3 2057's (lighting both elements... makes them 25Watts...) and the sockets in my vanity, instead of the current hungry House style bulb(s).
My range hood is a new jensen and uses 2 automotive bulbs.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Lefty

Sent: 4/18/2005 12:10 AM

I'll say this again... You don't have to go buy expensive special bulbs made just for RV's. They are available at just about any auto parts store for use in 12v portable droplights. They come in 2pks at my store, and are $1.88 for 2 bulbs 12v/50w  Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

James E Vining

SO funny I was just about to ask why in the world they would use 120 V Lights in the Bathroom/Medicine Cabinet/Shower when it would not work off Grid LOL.
I had no Idea they made 12V lights that look like 120V Ones.
I am also curious is the 12V wire running up to the medicine cabinet RED? Or covered in a Red Insulation Jacket?
I have been finding a ton of 2 Wire Connections that have been Either disconnected and left hanging and I am trying to figure it out.
I see in the bathroom I have a 2 Wire (one Black one White) that is covered with Red Insulation ( also the Wire is the typical Multi-Strand Wire not the Solid copper wire as found in the 120V Wiring)
I have tried to trace it using my Multi-Meter but doing it by myself and without anything to Electrify or Short it together my meter is useless to test with.