LP Tanks replaced how do I test it ensure it is Safe??

Started by James E Vining, August 10, 2013, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

The 2 Tanks I believe my 71 D-20 came with have been removed and a 20 or so gallon tank has been attached to the frame under where I believe the originals were supposed to be placed, it appears it had brackets on it from wherever (Jackwagon) aquired it from and that in Turn was welded to the frame so I cannot remove it without Cutting it out/off, My Concern is I want to inspect it for rust and be sure it doesn't leak and is safe to take to the local Gas station and have it filled with propane.
My Initial 5 or so Inspections of the Tank look good, it has a little bit of surface rust from where the Road debris has blasted off the Undercoating that appears to be on it, so I was thinking of cleaning it real good with some ZEP Commercial Degreaser Cleaner and I realize this stuff will remove teh paint and the undercoating so I will need to recoat it and was thinking of using like spray on bed liner or something, SUggestions??
Also I was wondering if anyone knows what PSI pressure a LP tank has in it say 75% Full on a 90 Degree day?
I was thinking I could try to hook up my air compressor and Fill it with air while I hide say behind the house and set the regulator on the compressor line to whatever pressure I want to test it to up to 125 PSI thats all the Higher I think I can go with the Compressor I have, That would give me a decent Idea if the tank is Able to hold pressure without Bursting and I'd Much rather do it with air then have it partially filled with Propane when it blows a Seam/End, gasket or just goes Ballistic.

James E Vining

I'll get some Pics and also see if I can find any Markings showing what Brand and so on the tank is.
I assume it should have a Born on date or death by date somewhere on it not to mention the amount of LBS it holds etc.

Lefty

If you want to repaint it, I would use Appliance White Epoxy Spray Paint... It dries to a very hard and durable coating which is extremely good at standing up to grease, oil, and road spray.

As for testing it.. I would take the tank to an LP Gas supplier and let them test it for you. They should have the right equipment to safely test it both for any leaks or other problems.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

James E Vining

Will they Test it on the vehicle as I cannot remove it without cutting it off.

Stripe

Good question, I'd like to know that as well, although, I am pretty sure for mine that was factory mounted, they would do it 'On Vehicle'...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

jkilbert

I'm not sure if the frame mounted tanks are required to undergo inspections. I do know that portable LP tanks should be inspected and tested every 10 years. My '77 Brave has 2 horizontal 20lb tanks. Because they can't be upgraded to OPD valves and the new tanks won't fit the compartment they were exempted from the OPD requirement. Most welding / compressed gas suppliers should be able to tell you if it needs tested and either do the testing or send you to someone who can.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

maxximuss

The under vehicle tanks are considered permanent tanks. You do not need to have them inspected as far as I know. The valving is different on these tanks from the regular BBQ style tanks. I have one to run the coach appliances as well as two large ones at the rear for the LP conversion on my rig. It probably wouldn't hurt to find a LP conversion service center to inspect it to see that its all in good order. I had a minor leak at one of the hoses and had a valve in a line replaced last year on mine. I had my mechanic look at it and let me know if the system was ok. I'm sure they would have told me I would have had to do a required inspection at that time anyway if there was one needed. However I live up in Canada, so I'm not sure what the requirements are needed in the U.S. or individual States. My self, I would inspect the condition, hoses for cracks, tank for excessive rust, etc. as well as check what my State or Provincial regulations are on LP systems in R.V.'s (also in the State or Province you plan to visit.)

I have rust on my tanks but they are fine, I plan on getting some rust converter on then and shoot some paint on them soon to prolong their life. The system on mine was put in the the early 80's just to give you an idea how old mine is.

Stripe

While it's true that factory installed LP tanks do not require regular inspections for safety, it's entirely up to you JV as to whether or not you get your tank/s looked at. 
I think that for your own peace of mind and sanity and you don't want to worry about what (Jackwagon) may or may NOT have done to them, then yes, have a professional look at your RV tank/s
Fredric,

James E Vining

True I just can't trust anything on this vehicle and I am not even Positive it was Installed properly, it does have some weird stuff on it I have never seen in (or on) a LP tank before.
I guess I better get pics as I cannot explain, maybe someone will have seen a tank like this before.
I will get pics in a bit as i have to wash House at the moment been hearing about that for days now as I have been busy working on MH daily and put off house washing oh ya and Mow back yard LOL

Stripe

Fredric,

James E Vining

Man washing the house is Intense, Before I Ruptured a Disc and Messed up my lower back (Disabling me) I could do the whole house in like a few hours, now It took me almost all day to do the side and front and I found even if I had unlimited amount of pain meds it wouldn't of helped  $@!#@!
So back to the LP Tank and maybe I'll do Other side and Back of house Wed.
I can remember when I was in like 8th grade and they talked about proper lifting and make sure you never hurt your back Blaa Blaaa Blaaa.
Maybe I should of paid more attention to the Blaaa Blaaaas Even though I had been a weight lifter for years and knew teh proper lifting technics it only took one time bending over wrong to pick up a 6" 2X4 to mess me up forever, and it is one of teh main reasons it has taken me so long to restore this MH, It is Mind blowing how much you use your back no matter what you may be doing and how much you have to bend in order to work on things, Like they say you never notice how much you use a body part until it is injured.
Anyway I degress I will get pics of tank in a second need to remove paint from Spec Label I found so I can read it.

James E Vining

Pics of the LP tank, I assume it is a LP Tank though it states water in the tag is that how they measure LP tanks is with water??

Now I have no idea what this is here it is in the middle of tank and I cannot quite read the marking but am working on removing teh paint on this too so I can se what this is.
Does anyone know has anyone seen this on a LP tank?? is it ia Level gauge of some sort?
Also the tank specs it was built in 1951 is that a little old to be using?

James E Vining

It would not let me post the pic of the (whatever this thing is) so I'll try again

LOL I can actually see the marking better in teh pic then i can in real life with my own eyes funny it used to be teh other way around pics never did the Object justice

James E Vining

I was able to get the paint of in record time thanks to ZEP Industrial Purple Degreaser, Man I love this stuff and only been using it about 5 days now.
I was using Super Clean but they Reformulated it removing 2 of the chemicals i believe were the ones making it such a good product now it barely removes dust so stay away from Super Clean if you are looking for a degreaser/Cleaner
It is a Brass or Copper Dial so I had to be extremely careful as ZEP Industrial Purple is hard on Brass/Copper/Aluminum/Clearcoat/ and of course paint.
So here it is its a Fuel level gauge incremented due to Temperature Kinda cool actually

James E Vining

Hopefully this is a Better close up I'm having a hard time getting the Letters and #'s clear in picture

DaveVA78Chieftain

I recommend you take the rig to a propane dealer and let him provide you with the answers.  What the rules where in 1951 may be no where near what the rules are for today.  I would question whether anyone here is qualified to give you information about a tank built in 1951.  All I can tell you for sure is Winnebago did not install that tank.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Why does that look like a hydropneumatic water tank???
Fredric,

Stripe

Ok, I sent an email off to Wendland Mfg last night and this is the reply I recieved from them this morning...
And I quote,

"
Yes you have a LP tank. The tag is still on the tank so you can take it to local distributor and they can test and fill the tank. I dont have any of the old info for the tank.
Thanks,

Dan

"
I hope this is of some help to you James.
Fredric,

James E Vining

Yes this helps a Ton, I did see Fuel was mentioned on the gauge, I am not sure exactly why the rate the Tank with Water capacity Pounds and Water Capacity Gallons but I assume it is a way to test them using similar Properties as LP without the Hazard involved in case of leakage.
Capacity in Pounds is 158 and capacity in gallons is 19 so thats a Plus as i believe the Tanks that most Travel Trailers and MH have are 2 @ 7.5 Gallon Tanks so I get a Bonus of about 4 gallons if I can use it LOL.
Now when you say Local Distributor you are referring to the company that delivers to say the gas stations etc. I would doubt the kids at the gas station would have any clue about anything to do with the tank.