How do you all attach new paneling?

Started by James E Vining, August 07, 2013, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

This Thermo-Panel construction of my 1971 D-20 seems great but some Jack wagon pulled some off and painted the rest White ( Why WHY??) Anyway I want to redo the paneling dark wood or something but how would I attach it? Should I use some Liquid Nails or some other industrial adhesive to attach the new paneling as I do not thing nailing or screwing the paneling on is a good Idea.

OldEdBrady

I used paneling nails in my trailer.  Worked just fine.

Stripe

the paneling in my 77 was attached using brad nails.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

If usuing adhesives test first as most will disolve the styerfoam and not stick ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

James E Vining

Thanks, I only have a couple sections where Previous Owner (AKA Jackwagon) Pulled the paneling off so he or she could paint it WHITE.
I plan to add paneling over Paneling Sections except where there is no paneling then I will have to place something over Foam same thickness as original so I can keep it even and looking semi decent.

malodin

keep in mind the inside paneling on this sandwich creation is also part of the structural integrity of the coach.  if you have big huge sections of removed paneling I would strongly suggest when you put that paneling back on shore it up with something.  in my rear bed area where I had practically no structural integrity I actually ran a 4" c-channel all the way around inside like a rollbar and then bolted strips of metal to it from the outside so it "re-sandwiched" I will get pictures up of all this.

all I am saying is be aware that the inside paneling is tied to the structural integrity of the body as much as the outside metal is.

James E Vining

Thanks for that Info I will be sure to double check and make sure everything is solid, last thing I need is for a part of the side or roof to come off while in transport or in a wind storm either would be catastrophic.

malodin

yah, I was very very disappointed when I did my roof at how easily this glue laminate can separate and significantly weaken the structure.  just be aware of what your removing/replacing and when in doubt over build the replacement.  even if you run extra trim pieces going full length it will help strengthen

Elandan2

When Winnebago originally made the panels, they sprayed a white glue onto the styrofoam and let it dry first.  That created a barrier to prevent the contact cement from dissolving the styrofoam.  You can replicate that by painting thinned school glue over the styrofoam before you put on the contact cement. Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

d21 special

There is panel adhesive for panelling and should be available at Home Depot that glues Styrofoam to wood or brick in basements and you then glue on the panelling or tile-board.  I can't remember the name of it, sorry, but I have used it some years ago in my basement and it's still holding.  The lumber department should be able to point you in the right direction.