Upgrading to new appliances - is it worth it?

Started by circleD, December 25, 2013, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I have the original stove and microwave but not sure of the safety of the stove and thought about getting rid of it and putting in something different to cook in but not sure what. Is this also worth the hassle of removing and upgrading?

I understand that certain things need to be ran off of propane for efficiency but the propane tubes are old and my wife can't even light the grill at home. I'm not trying to get rid of the simplicity of the RV but just want reliability and safety like everyone else. And thank you to everyone that has helped me so far with all the small repairs to get camper moving again.

tiinytina

If all work then not worth replacing, although newer microwave may be more efficient.  Stove's for RV's don't have pilot lights but a newer one may have an ignitor vs having to light a match/lighter to fire the burner up.  Propane is simpler for RV lifestyle and electric stoves suck down alot of power, though I have seen some smooth tops in spanking new RV's.  Propane lines don't degrade are copper, may kink if PO moved things but usually issues with propane stem from spiders building nests.  Fridges, depends what you are doing.. if riding down the road alot and don't want to spare the gas to run the generator to power the fridge than worth it for dual.  If trips are short and no boondocking a home fridge has been used by many, they will keep things cold for 4+ hrs without power. 
Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DonD

In my case the furnace and water heater were not always working. Last winter I had a couple 20f mornings and decided the furnace must go. Also replaced the WH. Both were quite easy to replace and worth it for me. The stove is easy to replace, did one many years ago, went with the same size so no wood work.

Watch for sales at PPL and the like.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

mrmuse

I redid all lines from the on board 80 lb. tank to water heater, furnace, stove & fridge.  1976 27" and it wasn't hard or expensive. 

I bought PIC (Nuwave) to cook w elec.  using 60% less power and still have 4 burners and stove.  Just more options if no LP..

LP fridge is better than the new elec. one in my house.  Ran all summer on 1 20 lb. tank.  Look for used if possible.

Copper pipe, cutter, fittings, flare tool and cutter were borrowed.  Common sense and suds test and everything is great for under $100.00.

NuWave was $199.00 but I use them in the house and the Winnie.

Mrmuse

Keep us posted..

Froggy1936

In my 1977, Mini . I replaced the furnace, With a larger one with automatic ignition (after many difficulties lighting original).  I replaced the controls and tank on the hot water heater and added a hot rod 110V heater. Replaced the cooling unit on the fridge and updated the stove to one from a 86 trailer. Also the roof A/C from the trailer. The tv antenna to a new collapsable one, Installed a Honda 5000K generator. The engine from a 1995 Chev van & transmission 4L80E W OD, Plus all the normal maitenence items, So yes it is worth upgradeing. Unless you are financially able to replace with a newer R/V Also replaced the microwave just this last summer . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.