Will copper plumbing handle higher pressure than flex?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 12, 2008, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpionbmw99

Sent: 7/24/2005 5:56 PM

I'm converting to an on demand system and I noticed that all my plumbing is copper. Is this right? original? It doesn't leak. Does this mean I can go to a higher pressure pump? (55-65psi)
I was planning on putting in a shurflo and accumulator underneath the rear bed but wanted to check before I cut into the copper. Is this the best location for the new pump.

thanks

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/25/2005 1:37 PM

I'm not sure what the psi is that it generates, but we put a brand new Sureflo 2.8gpm pump in the Ark, and its more than enough pressure for showers and whatnot.

We also have copper pipes, and although we had leaks we had to fix, there aren't any leaks now and all is well.  The copper can more than handle the pressure from the new pumps.

Ours is also under the rear bed, so its not a bad location.  Ours is located right next to the freshwater holding tank.  With ours, its a bear to get to anything under the bed, because we converted it over to a king size Temperpedic mattress.  When I have to get under there for anything, its a chore...but the good nights sleep and no back pain is worth it...lol.  I'm guessing that under your rear bed is more accessable than ours.

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Daved27c

Sent: 7/25/2005 10:07 PM

David;

The copper should be fine. It will hold up to any pressure that a sure flo pump can put out. Remember to vent the tanks like we taked about earlier, so you don't have the problems that Ty ran into.

Dave

Scorpionbmw99

Sent: 7/26/2005 7:00 PM

Thanks, I've got the Shurflo extreme 5.7 on order. The salesguy said that I don't need an accumlator tank with that pump.
will see how the pipes hold up.

Looking forward to a maiden voyage to yosemite in august.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/26/2005 11:10 PM

I've taken showers with our 2.8 gpm Sureflo, and we don't have an accumulator tank.  The pressure holds up fine and steady.  Our pressure a better on most park's water supply, and we have a new 40psi pressure regulator, so I'm guessing that the 2.8 puts out slightly less than 40psi.  But why use an accumulator tank?  When boondocking, we haven't seen any need for one.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Well for what it's worth I have 1/2 inch copper pipe through my barn that I run the compressor off at 125 lbs air pressure?  ??? i??

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28