air induction kit for 454 Chevy with LPG ??

Started by Wbago, May 11, 2014, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

Hiya :D
cant seem to find a kit for increased air flow to my engine . .. suspicion is that the hot air thats getting pulled in while idling is too warm, im looking for a kit that will fit and route cold air from somewhere away from the engine . ..
picture of my engine bay in my gallery, dunno how to link it :P

[smg id=6507]

ClydesdaleKevin

Spectre plenum and hose on my rig:

The hose goes to the original intake hose port, modified, with a 1000+cfm Spectre washable air filter.  A true cold air intake.

Specific info in my travel blog, North Carolina, 2013

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Kevin, didn't you also remove the LPG system too?

WBago looks to still have his..  Wish I still had mine..  Evil PO's.. $@!#@!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Wbago

Looks nice and neat, kevin :D

Yup, looking for something similar, but to fit mine, with LPG. .. itll probably have to be adapted to fit tho lol :D

offer from a friend to make a closed cannister using my filter, with a side port for a pipe, might be my route im thinking

Oz

It looks really tight in yours, with the filter cannister, it looks like it would be a very sharp bend to get the port tube to exit under the floor.  It's a little hard to tell, but you may need a solid elbow for that rather than flex tube.  You may opt to consider the filter being at the end of the intake tube instead of at the motor, that's how most CAI systems are set up, taking into account that it keeps the intake tube from getting lined with road crap that way as well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

How ever the filter is installed, you should be able to make or have made a flange that fits up just like the filter, then run an intake hose out of the engine compartment to somewhere out of the weather, and use a cone filter on the end of that. 

Hard to tell from the picture, but can your plenum be rotated counterclockwise without binding the linkage to the propane controller?  If so, you can route the intake hose to the stock location and put the filter behind your grill like we did.  Otherwise it looks like you'll have to exit to the rear and come out under the engine.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

To help with ambient air flow, take out the rubber matting air damn thats attached on top of the radiator support to upper part of body thats blocking the air flow. Let some life into that engine compartment.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

This is also referred to as the front engine shroud.  The one in my first Indian was removed by the PO and it really did help with the air flow.

But, you might want to consider this before removing it:

It also resulted in a TON of bugs and road crap distributed all over the engine, wiring, etc... especially when I had to drive it in the rain.  The rain and the spray from other cars and trucks gets blown into your engine compartment and your cooling fan helps to ensure it gets into every nook and cranny and all over your electrical connections (and into the ones that aren't well sealed).  The heat of the engine then bakes the crud into a nice, golden brown crust, perfect for mud pies, but no so much for engines.  Also, the crud insulated the engine, thus negating any cooling effect of removing the shroud.  And, I really didn't enjoy the extra chore of having to clean the engine periodically just because of this.  Not to mention the additional wear of all that gritty stuff getting on moving parts like the pulleys, fan belts, into the openings of the alternator...

And since you're running with an open air filter (not enclosed in a housing) that ought to choke it up pretty quickly.

Of course, it's sunny 340 days a year and only rains 2 days a year in the UK, so it most likely wouldn't be an issue for you... 
:laugh:

(I think these are the very reasons they put a shroud in there in the first place  ) ;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wbago

good points :D
still looking into a custom job at the mo  ....

Wbago

Update -

No joy finding a ready made item, at least not this side of the water ... a similar looking 'snorkel' to kevins plenum is availiable, at around 100 dollars shipped, but would involve re-welding fittings and re-routing vacuum hoses to suit it, seems a lot of work for an easy fix ....

so tomorrow im visiting a metal fabricator, to start work on the custom-fit option .. a single cone fitted like kevins will do the job at the business end, maybe 2 :D

cheers for the ideas and input, guys, ill update when i got something i can photo :P

Wbago

Bought this kit, will add a short length of flexi hose too, should do the job :D

Wbago

Chat with steel fabricator didnt go well. .  :'(

basically my item is too small and piddly for them to be bothered to even try to make it :(

Next call, mobile welder is so bizzy he cant get to look at another job for 3 weeks .. . ..

Next call, only work from computer patterns . ..

Final call, mobile welding company, deal mostly with on-site repairs to forklift trucks, guy agreed to pop over and take a look, no promises, but at least he knew what i was trying to achieve, unlike the others, who all pointed out that 'welders arnt mechanics' :(

ClydesdaleKevin

Good to see you are making progress!  Hopefully the last guys will hook you up.

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Wbago

Just ordered a rivet gun, rivets, a 3 inch alloy flange .. . . .looks like im better just doing it myself lol . .. .
plan is to convert the existing filter into a canister, flange fitting to the back ....

ill take some pictures when i do it :D

Wbago

Fitting of the bits is on indefinate hold, due to the fact that the engine now runs sweet, with no air problems, so i figure 'not broke, dont fix it' :D

Thanks for the help tho ppl :D