Brake lights don't work properly

Started by dboy5920, March 01, 2014, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboy5920

Any help would be appreciated. I replaced the belts and everything went fine, thanks for the help.
Now another problem, all my lights are working as suppose too in the front of the coach. In the rear though the brake lights work but quit working when the light switch is pulled on. Also when I turn on a blinker they work correct in the front but both blink in the rear and finally I have no running or clearance lights in the rear. Any Ideas where to start.
Again thanks

joev

check  the grounds on the tail lights to start with

intofire1

I had a similar problem, I removed all the light fixtures clean them very well and then replaced with stainless steel screws.
Gil in LA CA

DaveVA78Chieftain

Start with grounds.  Sounds like Brake lights are getting grounded through the Parking light system.  There is a 79 Dodge chassis wiring diagram in the Members area.  If the problem is not the ground, then only common item is turn signal switch in steering column.

Dave
[move][/move]

dboy5920

Ken

Your problem is more than likely a ground issue but there is another possibility. I had this happen to me years ago and thought it was a once in a lifetime fluke, but the same thing happened to me again not that long ago. It will mimic a ground problem and will drive you crazy. One of the filaments in a  dual filament bulb had collapsed and was contacting the other filament. Both filaments remained intact and worked when that circuit only was energized. Turn on another circuit and everything goes weird as one circuit back feeds into the other.  99.9 % of time when this happens, the bulb will burn out. You will replace it and never know you had a problem. Examine your bulbs closely. Replace them if you have any doubt. Don't assume (as I did) that bulb is good just because both filaments appear to work!

dboy5920

a quick update; After a week or more chasing wires and bulbs, I found the culprit to the problem (something I should have checked first) The light switch. I was sitting in the seat the other evening tinkering and I pulled the switch and I noticed in the mirror the rear side markers were working I got out and checked and everything was working, I was like WOW. then I shut them off and back on and they did not work again, so I unplugged the switch and pulled it and I could see immediately where it was bad. $36 bucks later FIXED!!  NOW a tranny problem.